About this book
Books on Google Play
PUBLISHED BY OTIS, BROADERS, AND CO.,
No. 120 WASHINGTON STREET.
I. GRISWOLD's POETS AND POETRY OF AMERICA . . 1
The Poets and Poetry of America; with a His-
torical Introduction. By RUFUS W. GRISWOLD.
II, PALFREY'S LOWELL LECTURES ON THE EVIDENCES
OF CHRISTIANITY. . . . . . . . . . . . 39
Lowell Lectures on the Evidences of Christianity.
By JOHN GORHAM PALFREY. With a Discourse on
the Life and Character of John Lowell, Jr. By
III. TRADE WITH THE HANSE Towns: The GERMAN
TARIFF-LEAGUE . . . . . . . . . . .
Ueber die Moeglichkeit eines zwischen dem
deutschen Zoll-Verein und den Vereinigten Staaten
von America abzuschliessenden Handels und Schiff-
fahrts-Vertrags. (On the Possibility of a direct
Treaty of Commerce and Navigation between the
States of the German Tariff-League and the United
States of America.)
IV. GERVINUS's HISTORY OF GERMAN POETRY ... 79
1. Geschichte der Poetischen National-Literatur
der Deutschen, von G. G. GERVINUS. (A History
of the (Early) Poetical Literature of the Germans.
By G. Ĝ. GERVINUS.)
2. Neuere Geschichte der Poetischen National-
Literatur der Deutschen, von G. G. Gervinus. (A
History of the Modern Poetical Literature of the
Germans. By G. G. GERVINUS.)
V. DEBTS OF THE STATES .
1. State Stocks and Revenues, comprising Statis-
tical Tables of the Stocks, Debts, Expenditures, and
Revenues of each of the United States.
2. Report of the Joint Committee of the Senate
and House of Representatives of the State of Michi-
gan, on the Subject of the Five Million Loan Bonds.
3. Message of Governor McNutt to the Legisla-
ture of the State of Mississippi. January, 1841.
: 4. Message of Governor Porter to the Legislature
of the State of Pennsylvania. January, 1843.
VI. Prescott's HISTORY OF THE CONQUEST OF Mexico 157
History of the Conquest of Mexico, with a Pre-
liminary View of the Ancient Mexican Civilization,
and the Life of the Conqueror, Hernando Cortés.
By WILLIAM H. Prescott.
VII. SAM SLICK IN ENGLAND: CHANGE FOR AMERICAN
1. The Attaché; or Sam Slick in England. By
the Author of "The Clockmaker, or the Sayings
and doings of Sam Slick," &c.
2. Change for the American Notes : in Letters
from London to New York. By an American Lady.
VIII. CATALOGUE OF THE LIBRARY OF Brown UNIVERSITY 227
A Catalogue of the Library of Brown Univer-
sity, in Providence, Rhode Island. With an Index
IX. CRITICAL Notices.
1. Duer's Lectures on the Constitutional Juris.
prudence of the United States . . . 236
2. Champlin's Edition of Demosthenes on the
3. Cushing's Report of Proceedings and Debates 243
4. An Introduction to Geometry
5. Krebs's Guide for Writing Latin
NOTE TO ARTICLE IX. OF No. 121.
QUARTERLY List Of New PUBLICATIONS
I. JAMES'S NOVELS
The False Heir. By G. P. R. JAMES, Esq.
II. LOWELL'S POEMS
Poems, by JAMES RUSSELL LOWELL.
III. The FOREST LANDS OF MAINE .
Report of the Land Agent of the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts, laid before the Legislature, Janu-
ary 10th, 1844. By George W. Coffin.
IV. REDFIELD, REID, ESPY, AND LOOMIS ON THE THEO.
RY OF STORMS
1. Various Papers on Meteorology, and the Laws
of Storms, by W. C. REDFIELD.
2. An Attempt to develope the Law of Storms by
Means of Facts, arranged according to Place and
Time. By Lieut. COLONEL W. Reid, C. B., F. R. S.
3. The Philosophy of Storms. By JAMES P. Es-
PY, A. M.
4. On the Storm which was experienced through-
out the United States about the 20th of December,
1836. By Elias, Loomis.
V. THE RECENT CONTEST IN Rhode Island
1. An Address to the People of Rhode Island, de-
livered in Newport, May 3d, 1843, in Presence of
the General Assembly. By William G. GODDARD.
2. A Concise History of the Efforts to obtain an
Extension of Suffrage in Rhode Island, from the
Year 1811 to 1842. By Jacob Frieze.
3. The Affairs of Rhode Island: a Discourse de.
livered in Providence, May 22, 1842. By FRANCIS