« PreviousContinue »
CXIII. St. John Chap. I. Ver. 1; 2, 3; 4,5.
1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word Das with God, and the Word was God.
2. The same was in the beginning with God. 3. All things were made by him; and without
was not any thing made that was made. 4. In him was life, and the life was the light
5. And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not.
CXIV. The Salutation or Annuntiation of the
Angel Gabriel to the Blessed Virgin. THE Angel Gabriel from high Heav'n descends, ,
To Nazareth his shining Course he bends; This weighty Message he to Mary brings, Espous'd to Foseph, both the Seed of Kings, “ All Hail! Belov'd of Heav'n, and full of Grace, Belov'd beyond the Sexes frailer Race: Thy Virgin-womb an Infant God does shrowd, JESUS his sacred Name- and then he bow'd. Th' Eternal Father's Coeternal Son, Enthron'd in Light before the World begun: Over the House of Jacob he shall reign, His Kingdom Thall no Time nor Age restrain. The Holy Spirit, the pure Etherial Dove, Shall warm thy Breaft with Joy and heav'nly
Love. She bow'd with humble Faith and full Affent, Back to his radiant Seat the heav'nly Courtier
CXIV. St. Luke Chap. I. Ver. 28, to 33.
28. The angel came in unso her, and Jaid, Hail thou that art bigbly favoured, the Lord is with thee : blessed art thou among women, &c.
30. Fear not, Mary : for thou hast found favour with God,
31. And behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and salt call his name Jesus.
32. He shall be great, and be fall be called the Son of the Highest ; and the Lord God Mall give him the throne of his father David.
33. And be fall reign over the house of Jacob for ever, and of his kingdom there hall be no end.
And muft thy Sorrows with thy Life begin?
in the Womb.
St. Luke Chap. II. Ver. 21, to 22.
21. When eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.
22. And when the days of her purification, according to the law of Moses, were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to