« PreviousContinue »
Marth. is. g And as Felus passed forth from thence, he saw a man named Matthew, sitting at the receit of custom : and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him.
Mark ii. 14. Luke v: 27, 28, 29: And after these things he went forth, and Jan a publican named Levi, fitting as the receit of custom: and he said unto him, Follow me. And he left all
, rose ups and followed bim. And Levi made him a great feast in bis own house.
Abraham to Joseph.
THE Saviour's Line and Acts these Leaves
contain From Abraham's Stem, and David's fated Reign. Old Abr’ham, Isaac, Jacob, first rake Place From whence the Patriarchs and their sacred Race. To Judah, did fair Thamar, Pharez bear, Ezrom was his, and Aram Ezrom's Heir : Aminadab to Nasoon did resign, Salmon his Son, as Boaz, Salmon! thine. Obed was his, and Jesse Obed's Son, His, David, who the Hebrepp Scepter won.
From thence his Line the Sacred Writer brings To Babel's Chains thro'a long Race of Kings: To Foseph thence, and Mary, chast and fair, Mary, who did the Great Messiah bear. Thrice fourteen Ages lineally descend From Abr ham down to Christ, whose Kingdom
knows no End,
St. MATTH. Chap. I. to Ver. 17.
Verse's. Tle Book of the Generation of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham.
2. Abraham begat Isaac, and Isaac begat Jacob, and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren, &c.
16. And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Fesus, who is called Christ.
17. So all the Generations from Abraham to David, are fourteen Generations : and from David until the carrying away into Babylon unto Chrift, are fourteen Generations.
III. Christ's Conception and Birth. Joseph
satisfied by an Angel, who interprets
the Names of Christ. MART to Foseph by firm Contract bound
She of the Holy Ghost is pregnant found. Yet, Mild and Good, he would not her expose ; Private Divorce, he rather kindly chose : When loe! an Angel in a Dream appears, Softens his Cares, and thus dispels his Fears.
Refuse not, O! of David's Royal Line Thy spotless Spouse in Holy Bonds to joyn, Her Fame untouch'd, her Burden's all Divine. From thence,a wondrous Son shall soon proceed, JESUS his Sacred Name by Heav'n decreed, Whose mighty Arm shall set his People free From Sins, and Hell's ignoble Slavery : He rose, refresh'd, then Heav'ns Commands obey'd And to his Bosom takes the Sacred Maid: Preserves unknown, unspotted as before, Till She the promis'd Prince, the World's Great
to the End.
18. Now the Birth of Jesus Chrift was on this wife, &c.
20. But while he thought on these things, behold the Angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, Saying, Joseph thou Son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy Wife : for that which is conceived in her, is of the Holy Ghost.
21. And fbe fall bring forth a Son, and thou haalt call his name Jefus : for be mall save his people
from their fins.