« PreviousContinue »
St. Matth. Chap. XVIII. Ver. 28,
28. But the fame servant went out, and found one of his fellow-fervants, which ought him an hundred pence : and he laid hands on him, and took bim by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
29. And his fellovo-fervant fell down at his feet, and befought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
30. And he would not : but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
And their dear Infants bring for him to bless.
He says, and kindly takes them in his Arms, Nor with their Infant-Blandishments and Charins Remains unmov'd: His Hands upon their Head He laid, which Grace, and heav'nly Virtyes shed: By Words and Deeds his tender Care express d, Nor willingly dismiss’d, nor sent 'em thence un
XXXVIII. St. Matth. Chap. XIX. Ver. 13,
13. Then there were brought urto bim little chile dren, that he should put his bands on them, and pray : and the disciples rebuked them.
14. But Jesus Said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not to come unto me : for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
is. And be laid his hands on them, and departed thence.
XXXIX. The Difficulty of Salvation to rich Men. WIth eager Haft a youth to Jesus ran,
Fell proftrate at his Feet, and thus began : What shall I do, for none can better tell, T' arrive at Bliss, and scape the Flames of Hell ? To whom our Lord-- You must not steal nor kill, Adult'ry fhun : Obey your Parents Will. These I've observ'd from Childhood, he rejoynd, What is there of Perfection yet behind ? With Love and Picy, him our Lord survey'd, And to the forward Learner thus he said, Sell all thou hast, if thou wilt perfect be, Give to the Poor, and come and follow me: As Thunder-ftruck with this reply he stands, Nor e're expected such severe Commands: At length he did with much of Pain depart, His Wealth prevail'd and stole away his Heart, Sighing, our Lord - How ill doth Wealth agree With the neglected Cross, and Pierie ? As soon the loaden Camel may pass by A narrow Gare, or thred a needle's Eye; As he who trusts in Riches, Life obtain, Inter the Gates of Bliss, the Crown of Glory gain.
St. Matth, Chap. XIX.
16. One came and said unto him, Good master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? &c.
21. Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven : and come and follow me.
22. But when the young man heard that Saying, he went away sorrowful : for he had great porlesions.