Page images

great Ionic columns support the lofty roof of the portico that extends across the main portion of the house. At one side a long wing is taken up by the dining-room, the breakfast-room and the pantries, while in the basement are the kitchens and various offices. On the second floor of the wing are ample provisions for the nurseries and for the quarters of the house servants. The interior adornment of the house, which was at that time said to be the handsomest in Pennsylvania, was most elaborate. Delicately carved marble mantelpieces were cause for proper pride. The walls were hung with paper brought from France and along the halls and opposite the nurseries was a full portrayal in colours of Polonius giving advice to his son.

The dining-room is of truly generous proportions, and had need to be for the lavish entertaining that was done there. It was no unusual thing for fifty people to sit down to dinner and on the occasion of Doctor Wetherill's birthday parties in February sometimes as many as eighty guests would take their places at the table. Open-handed hospitality was ever the rule at Fatland and was not confined exclusively to the personal friends and acquaintances of the owner. When the Wetherill Blues, a military body named in honour of Doctor Wetherill who had organised it, were mustered out after the Civil War they were so unstintedly fêted at Fatland that for two weeks echoes of good cheer were ringing through the countryside. Not very far from the house, at the edge of the woods, are the Bakewell graves—Mr. Bakewell though buried at first in Philadelphia was afterward laid beside his wife

and around them are the graves of the Free Quakers whose bodies were removed thither—when the burying ground on Fifth Street near Locust was devoted to other purposes and placed in a plot designated for that purpose by Colonel John Wetherill to whom the estate passed in 1872 upon the death of his father Doctor Wetherill. Fatland has been in its day one of the most noted and notable seats in the region about Philadelphia and even now after many years of tenancy by only caretakers, the present owner not electing to live there, it has preserved its stately charm and grace and only needs trifling repairs and the gardener's pruning knife and grubbing hoe to place it once more among the foremost plantations of the day.



UT a stone's throw from Fatland's gate along the road from Pawling's Bridge, is the lane turning into Mill Grove, a place filled with memories of Audubon and sacred to all birdlovers and naturalists. A short drive

down this lane brings us to the house perched on the western slope of a steep hill overhanging the Perkiomen, which sweeps by at the foot of the declivity. Beyond the creek, broad meadows open out, while the hither bank grows more and more precipitous with a dense wood hanging at its summit.

Mill Grove House, built foursquare of native, tawny, rough-hewn stone, a good plain farmhouse of massive masonry without architectural pretensions, is just such as a sturdy yeoman might be expected to build in the midst of his fields. A thick mantling of English ivy clings to the walls and knits the fabric to surrounding nature. Through the midst of the house runs a hall on each side of which there are two large rooms. The same arrangement is repeated abovestairs and again in the attic.

Since William Penn's original grant of this tract in 1699, the land has had many owners, including Colonel Edward Farmer of White Marsh, the Morrises and Lewises, and at one time Governour John Penn and his wife. In 1762, a year of unusual building activity in

Colonial annals, James Morgan of Durham Furnace connexion in Bucks, built the house, as a date stone in the apex of the gable attests, and in 1765 added the small kitchen wing at one end. His brother, Thomas Morgan, for a season conducted the house as a hostelry. In 1771 Rowland Evans, James Morgan's partner in the mill interests, from which the place took its name, bought the property and sold it five years later to Governour John Penn. From Penn and his wife it passed through several hands until Augustin Prevost sold it in 1789 to John Audubon (the admiral] father of John James LaForest Audubon, the ornithologist, who gave Mill Grove name and fame.

Sent from San Domingo or Louisiana to France to be educated for the navy that he might follow his father's footsteps, young Audubon showed himself singularly unfitted by disposition and talents for that profession, and it became quite plain that his bent lay wholly in the direction of art and natural history. After a course of education in which he seems to have profited chiefly by his instruction in music and drawing, his father, seeing that it was useless to press the naval calling, permitted him to come and live at his Mill Grove farm where he was free to indulge to the full his passion for outdoor life.

Thither, then, he came about 1797 and roamed the fields and woods, gun in hand, in search of specimens, drew, rode horseback or played his fiddle—he was a proficient musician—as fancy dictated. Besides his devotion to drawing and bird studies, he had a passion for

« PreviousContinue »