Page images

Schr. Cincinnatus, Provincetown, Nov. 27th, had fallen in with, 24th, Cape Elizabeth. N.N.W.70 miles, schr. Enterprise, of and from Frankford for Portland, which bad sprung a leak 23d, and was nearly full of water. Took off Capt. and crew and landed them at Provincetown. Bark Lagrange, of New-York, from Savannah for Boston, remained on the beach dry up, Schr. Boston, packet, of Orrington which had been on Truro beach with loss of foremast, had been got off, and is in this port.-Me. Correspondent.

Schr. Susan, of Boston, from Alexandria for New. York, had a severe gale from N.W. night of 23d, lost foresail, and split mainsail; night of 26th had another N.W. gale, split mainsail badly, lost boat and stove galley.

Returned—Ship Laconia hence for Liverpool. On Monday the 23d, in a gale from N. to N.W. shifted the cargo, in running before the wind, causing the ship to lay lower yards in the water; finding we had five feet of water in the hold, wore ship to the S.W. and set both pumps to work, and freed her in 12 hours ; kept one pump going since the 27th, the leak increasing.

Brig Mary, Norris, arrived at Newport on the 27th, from Galveston, Texas, for New-York, in distress, having lost her sails, and experienced a succession of heavy gales. Extract from the Mary's log book“ Nov. 11th, 55 miles south of Cape Fear, fell in with the wreck of the schr. -, bailing from Wilmington, N.C., with foremast gone to the deck, mainmast about 25 feet above deck, and no one board; she was apparently stripped of everything.

Bark Everton encountered a gale on the 23d, was knocked down on her beam ends, lost deck load, and several of the crew were crippled, and Capt. Jones was knocked overboard, but succeeded in regaining the vessel. She was abandoned the 28th.

The Alverton, (Br.) from New-York for Portsmouth, had a hurricane from N.E. to W. Nov. 23, latitude 39, long. 69, lost bulwarks, stanchions, jibboom, sprung main top-mast, and threw part of the


overboard. Lightning Storm. Extract of a letter from Captain Young, of brig Tonquia, from Neuvitas, bound to New York, which pat into Newport, 5th instant:

“ We arrived at this port, after a passage of 36 days, during which time encountered nothing but head winds, was 18 days North of Cape Hatteras, in which time experienced a succession of heavy gales. On the 23d, in a squall from 8. to 8.W., was struck by lightning, which set our braintop-gallant sail and mast on fire, which, after much exertion, we were onabled to quench. On the 24th, lat. 38 10, lon. 71 00, while lying to in a heavy gale, was boarded by a tremendous sea, which shifted deck load of molasses, and were obliged to cut it away-store bulwarks, galley, forecastle, gangway, and lost every thing moveable off deck, split sails, &c.; while clearing deck load, several of our men were disabled-being in the above situation, and short of provisions, I deemed it prudent to make for the nearest port."

MELANCHOLY L03s of LIFE AND SHIPWRECK.EDGARTOWN, Nov. 26, 1346.—The brig Lincoln, of Deer Isle, Raynes, master, from Bangor, the 6th inst., lumber loaded, for Brooklyn, New York, when 10 miles South-West of Gay Head, on Monday morning last, 23d, was knocked down by a gale of wind and filled with water, and deck load washed off. They then cut away the lanyards with their knives, and both masts went over the side. The vessel being unmanageable, was carried by wind and tide. On Monday night Richard Brown, Junr., of Deer Isle, died from exposure. On Tuesday morning, Williarn Adams, of the same place, died. On the night of the 25th, at 10 o'clock, the vessel grounded on the South Beach of this Island ; soon after, Benjamin J. Saunders, mate, of the same place, jumped from the vessel into the surf, hoping to reach the shore. He was never seen afterwards. This morning, the 26th, by means of a spar, which they placed over the bows of the vessel, the Captain and remainder of the crew, two in number, attempted to reach the beach, in doing which, Bial S. Raynes, of Deer Isle, fell off the spar into the water. His comrades got him ashore, but he also died within 30 minutes after landing. The Captain and ono man, viz. : Charles J. Saunders, of Deer Isle, were saved, and arrived at the house of

Mr. B. Stewart, where they are doing well. They were very much exhausted, having had nothing to eat or drink since Monday, until they landed, when they found a few fish which had been washed up by the surf.

Schooner Albatross, of Surrey, Me., was capsized on the 23d in a gale from N.W.

Brig Catharine & Mary, from Sugar la Gande, on the 23d, experienced a severe gale from N.W., lost her deck load, sails, spars, rigging, &c.

Bark Canton, bound to Mantanzas, on the 23d, in a gale from N.N.E., a heavy sea struck and boarded the ship, washing away bulwarks, boats, galley, and water casks. December 2d, lat. 37 31, long. 66 23, fell in with schooner Arozenbo, of and from Sedgwick, bound to Wilmington, N. C., which was capsized and dismasted on the 26th, 180 miles S. of Block Island, in a gale from the Westward-took from her the Capt. and crew.

British brig Indus, from Pictou. for Boston, went ashore at Cape George on the 23d.

Brig Hoosa, from Newburyport, for Havana, from the 23d to the 27th, experienced heavy gales from the Westward, and at intervals it blew a perfect hurricane -lost deck load, sprung topmasts, and the topsail yard.

Schooner Comet, on the 23d and 24th, in a gale, lost bulwarks, chains, anchors, &c., threw overboard 500 bushels of wheat.

British brig Dolphin, from New York, for Liverpool, N. S., experienced heavy gales on the 23d and 24th—the cargo shifted and decks swept—was aban. doned with four feet of water in the hold.

British brig Pulla, of New Castle-upon-Tyne, from Balize, bound to Cork, for orders, put into the port of St. George's, on the 27th Nov., in distress, with the loss of maintopsail yard, split sails, &c. On the 23d, while lying, to, a heavy sea struck the vessel on her larboard side, and carried away stancheons, covering board and bulwarks, fore and aft, which occasioned her to leak, and on Sunday, five hours after, ten feet of water was found in the hold. Lat. 32 48, long. 60 50W.

Ship Bengal, which left this port on the 20th of November, with a cargo of 36000 bushels of grain, 3000 bbls. naval stores, arrived at London, Dec. 26, Capt. Cook, in a letter to his owners, gives the following interesting account.

The third day after leaving New-York, we encountered the most terrific gale I ever experienced, commencing from the E. and veering to N.W. At noon, the sea running so heavy as to keep the decks full of water, and not being able to scud away any longer with safety, I made the attempt to heave to under close reefed maintopsail and mizen spencer, the latter blowing to pieces. After laying about half an hour, with a dreadful sea running, I felt the cargo shifted and the next moment we were on our beam ends, the larboard rail being about six feet under water; and the sea rolling over us the same as it rolls over the beach taking every thing with it, bulwarks, rails, jolly boat, ladders, booby hatch, &c. We lay in this situation an hour or more, when we succeeded in furling the maintopsail, and setting the foretopsail and foresail, close reefed, and she paid off before the wind, the larboard rail still under water. We continued running before the sea all night and all the next day ; shipped a sea, which started the deck house and filled the cabin with water, and the weather being very cold and stormy on the English coast, I do not think there has been a dry garment on board since. After the ship was got before the wind we tried the pumps, and kept one pump going all night, it choaking at intervals with grain. After the gale was over, sent all hands down into the hold, and found we could walk along the starboard side, all gone from the shifting boards to leeward though they remained firm: we succeeded in getting her upright in the course of the day and night, the crew all the while grumbling to have the ship go back; but I determined to go to London or to go down. After getting her upright, “ Richard was himself again"; but soon after the gale came from the S.W. with great violence, blew away the foresail, stove the galley and scattered the stoves in fragıneuts overboard. I got all my chains on deck, and attempted to hold her up by putting them to the windward, but all to no purpose ; this cargo is like so

many peas, the whole rolling over to leeward, and I think we have trimmed it from one side to the other as often as five times. I have been obliged, in consequence, to run the ship before the wind, regardless from which quarter it blew, or how we run, some. times north, and sometimes south.

The following account of the ship Margaret Forbes, on her voyage from this port to St. Thomas, is from Mr. Fisher, the first officer of the ship :-“We left New York on the 21st of November, and on the 23d experienced a very heavy gale from N.W., which lasted 24 hours, when it moderated so that we were enabled to carry all sail. On the 25th, in the morning calm ; at 12 M. it breezed up from the Southward fresh; at 2 P. M. began to haul to the Westward, and at 4 P. M., blowing a strong gale from W.8.W., hove the ship to under close reefed maintop sail; the galo increasing, but made very good weather until 12 o'clock, midnight, when the wind hauled to W.N.W.; got canvass in mizzen rigging to keep her up to the wind; the sea was then about three points on the weather bow and blowing a hurricane. At 1 o'clock A.M. of the 26th, shipped a sea that completely swept the decks of every moveable thing, and took off the forecastle companion, with the combings, which left a space of three teet square through the deck, the sea making a continual breach over the ship. Secured the forecastle hatch as soon as possible, with a largo mattrass and a sail over that, battened to the deck. The sea took the bulwarks and all the stauncheons, on each side, from the forward part of the fore rig; ging to the main rigging off to the plankshear, and split it in a number of places; the opening in one place was three inches wide and four feet long, on the lee side and constantly under water. Soon after the sea boarded, we started the pumps and continued pumping; at 8 A.M. sounded the pumps and found 7 feet of water in the ship; continned the pumps without cessation; at 6 P. M., found 11 feet of water in the ship, and the lee side continually under water. The gale abating through the night, found we gained about 2 feet. On the morning of the 27th, kept off before a large sea, wind at N. W., and moderate, and continued running all this day, and stopping up all the leaks on deck, still keeping the pumps at work incessantly, and on the morning of the 28th found but four feet of water in the ship; it being quite moderate, and very little water coming on deck, opened the main hatch and commenced heaving over cargo, which was continued all day, still keeping the pumps at work ; at night secured the hatches, and at 4 o'clock A.M. of the 29th, sucked the pumps ; men working all this time bravely, without a murmer. Found this morning that our mainmast was badly sprung, and concluded to run for St. Thomas, as we were in the latitude of 38 and longitude of 61, where we arrived." She has since been condemned.

Tuesday, November 24.
Earthquake in Scotland. See ante. p. 668.

Extract from Log-book of brig Mary, November 24th, Sandy Hook, bearing N.W. about 75 miles:" At 2 P.M., saw a ship to leeward, showing a signal of distress ; ran down to her, and found it was the ship Zenobia from N. York, to Liverpool, leaking badly, and both pumps choaked, bound back to N. York; was requested to keep company for fear she would go down, did so. Wednesday, 4 A M., took the wind from S.E., still in company with the ship, with all sails set, steering W.N.W; at 2 P.M. the wind had increased to a gale, and hove to; the ship done the same about lialf a mile astern; at 3 P.M. moderate, with light wind, still within a mile of each other; at 5 P.M. took the wind from N. W., the ship still coming after me ; at 8 P.M. lost sight of her, wore ship and stood to the S.W; at 8f saw the ship to leeward ; set a light, but could get no answer; it then blowing a gale from N.W. and we laying to under foretopmast staysail and storm spencer, the sea making a complete breach over us, we being then in 22 fathoms water.

Ship Zenobia. -Letter of Capt. Henry to Messrs. N. L. and G. Griswold :

At 1 A.M. on the night of the 23d of November, tho night we left New York, it came on to blow from the N.W., and in a short time increased to a furious gale. After securing everything snugly, and taking in every thing, excepi close reefed maintopsail, and foretopmast staysail

, under which we scud to the


Eastward; shortly after the ship began to labor heavily, lurching the lee rail all under, and filling the decks with water. At 4 A.M. sounded the pumps, and found 22 inches in the well—the crew being in the mean time engaged in taking in sail. We got some of the passengers who could stand to the pumps, and found that one pump kept her free by working three-fourths of the time. The sea continued to get heavier, and the ship to labor worse ; everything on deck was thrown overboard.

At7 A.M. found that the wheat began to come up the

pumps. We now hauled by the wind to see what the result would be, and found that the wheat soon began to choak the boxes; by 10 A.M., we could not pump more than once before we had to draw the box and clear it of wheat, and in an hour after both pumps choaked so often they could not keep free. The water kept gaining on us in spite of all our exertion. The thought struck us to put a piece of sieve bottom over the lower box for a strainer, and to our great joy it kept the boxes free of grain, and we now had the pleasure of seeing the pumps suck. The crew and passengers declaring it unsafe to proceed with the ship, I had no alternative left except to return to N. York. The next day, the 24th, the weather moderated ; we got all sail on the ship; our strainers of seive bottom were soon wore out. Several other stratagems were tried, until we took the tube of a copper hand pump, and fitting one end to a handspike, turned a kind of lip in the other end. This we screwed round in the wheat, and found that it brought it up in small quantities at a time.

On the 25th, the starboard pump began gradually to fill with wheat, and at last none could be got at. The pump had now 12 feet of water in it. In the afternoon it began to blow from the south soon hauling to the W.N.W., blowing furiously all night. After it moderated, found the ship had a list to starboard. For 2 days after the wind blowed fresh from the westward, when we found ourselves off Montauk Point.

As the crew could not work the ship and keep the pumps going, we were obliged to put away for New. port. Since our arrival here, I find that the ship makes about 14 inches of water in an hour ; this would be trifling but for the liability of the pumps being choaked with wheat. We are now at anchor in the outer harbor, and await orders from New York. The Zenobia had about seventy passengers on board.

Swedish brig Albion, on the 24th, lat. 38 58, long. 66 20, in a gale from W.N.W., shipped a sea, which stove the bulwarks, split plank-shear, lost jibboom and sails attached, lifted the round house, lost the galley, sprung a leak-pumps choked and 4 feet of water in the hold, returned to repair damages.

Schooner George, of and from Ellsworth, for Boston, was thrown on her beam ends, 1 A.M. on the 24th, in a gale from N.N.W., about 30 miles south of Sequin Island, mast, bowsprit, boat and deck load were swept off; in 15 minutes afterwards she righted. Capt. Lord and crew remained on the wreck 40 hours, and were taken off by Captain Pike, of schooner Milo, and landed at Eastport.

Schooner Baltimore, from Boston, for Charleston, on the 24th experienced a heavy gale of wind, lost stern boat and galley, stove bulwarks, and received other damage. The B. has been driven as far east as long. 60 30, and has experienced a succession of westerly gales.

MELANCHOLY SHIPWRECK.-In the late disastrous gale and snow storm upon the coast of Maine, the schooner Commodore Perry, Capt. Davis Haskell, of and for Deer Isle, from Portsmouth, went ashore on Cranberry Isles, night of 24th, and all on board perished. The coasting revenue cutter returned from the wreck on 30th instant, with three of the bodies, one of which was that of a female passenger. It is supposed there were other passengers on board. Boston Daily Adv.

Bark Cambrian, from Boston, for Surinam, lost bowsprit, and had decks swept in a gale on November 24th.

The brig American, from N. York, for Galveston, encountered a heavy gale of wind while lying too on the 24th, shipped a sea on the starboard quarter which split trysail, carried away the davits, and

strained the vessel in her hull, causing her to leak in the deck and waterway.

A letter from Captain Church, of ship William C. Nye, dated at San Carlos, states that he came to that port November 29th to repair his rudder. On the 24th, he had a heavy gale, in which he lost one boat, spritsail yard, bowsprit shroud and jib guy, and twisted the head of his rudder. On the 26th took another gale, and found it necessary to go into port. When the gale commenced he was near the land, with a whale alongside, after dark, which he was obliged to let go to claw off shore.

Bark Hannah Sprague, from N. York, on the 24th experienced a tremendous gale, in which she split maintopsail, and shifted her cargo.

Loss of Bark ELIZABETH, OF PORTLAND.--The bark Elizabeth sailed from N. York on the 20th of November, bound to Cork, with a cargo of provisions, &c. After leaving port. had very rough weather until the 24th, when we experienced a heavy gale of wind, which blew with great violence for 24 hours. During that time cargo shifted, so that the vessel lay with her lee rail under water for six hours. On the morning of the 25th, the gale abated so that we were enabled to get the vessel before the wind. But the wind still blowing very heavy, and the sea running high, could not get at the cargo to right the vessel. On the evening of 26th, caine on to blow a most dreaful gale -again kept the vessel before the wind in order to save our masts, tearing if the vessel was brought to the wind we should lose them. Morning of 27th, lat. 39 30, Jong. 57 40, the gale had increased to a complete hurricane. At 8 Ă.M., the wind dropped away nearly calm for the space of five minutes; wind changing at the same time, and blowing again as hard as before. At that time boarded by a heavy sea that swept the decks of everything moveable, taking with it monkey rail and bulwarks, wheel house and wheel, breaking Captain J.'s leg and badly injuring three

The vessel then came to the wind, but soon went over nearly on her beam ends, the water standing on deck as high as the companion doors. Cut away the masts and cleared the vessel of every thing but the lower masts ; after which the vessel righted, leaking badly; set both pumps to work, and in two hours freed her from water, and afterwards kept her free with one pump. Saved her courses, in a bad condition, and hoped with this sail to get into Bermuda. After trying hard from the 27th November to 17th December, without success, it blowing a gale most of the time, and what little sail we had being nearly blown to pieces, in lat. 31 50, long. 62, the ship A. V. Humbolt, Captain Waters, came up and kindly took Captain Jordan, mate, and eight seamen on board, and brought them to this port, it being impossible to get the Elizabeth into any port in our present condition.

Brig Raymond D'Zaldo, hence, 35 days from Kings ton, Jam., put into Charleston on the 12th December On the 24th November, lat. 35 long. 71, during a hurricane from the southward, was hove on her beam ends, and was compelled to cut away main riggiug, the main-mast went by the board; stove bulwarks, carried away stancheons, and caused the brig to leak; sprung bowsprit and foretopmast.

Ship Flavio, of Newburyport, 42 days from Boston, for Madras and Calcutta, was spoken on the 6th January, lat. 26 S., long. 27 10 W., with loss of bul. warks, having, on the 24th November, experienced a perfect hurricane.

Wednesday, November 25. In a severe gale and snow storm, on the night of the 25th, the schooner Pharas, from Bangor to Machiasport, went ashore in Cape Split Harbor. Same night schooner Eliza Hupper went ashore on Rini Point; also schooner Susan Taylor went ashore on Pot Head

On the 25th, experienced a violent norther which has done considerable damage; the wind blew violently for twenty-four hours, and drove from their moorings the following vessels: prizes taken at Tobasco-steamer Tabascano, schooner Tabasquena, and brig Descrada. The schooner was seen on shore about 15 miles to the westward of Alvarado; supposed three men who were on board of her were saved. The brig and steamer had not been seen; on board the brig there were six men-no officers. Brig Somers, and schooner Morris, late Laura Virginia, frigate Cum

berland and prize steamer Petrita rode out the gale with the Forward, and all are safe.

The Adeline from New York for Galway, I., encountered a severe gale on the 25th, and another on December 5 ; lost both jib-booms, foretopgallant mast, jolly boat, monkey rail, head rail, bulwarks, and several articles off deck.

Loss Of The BRIG PALLAS OF NORTH YARMOUTH, (Me.,) J. G. Haven, Master.-Nov. 19th, left St. John's bar and proceeded to sea, and nothing material taking place till the 25th, when at 10 A. M. we hove to under cloose reefed maintoprail on the starboard tack, blowing hard from the S.W., leaking 100 strokes per hour. Thursday, 26th, blowing hard, wind veering to the westward ; at 4 30 A. M., seitled down suddenly, evidently having started something, and in less than five minutes was on her beam ends ; we then cut away the main rigging, when every thing went by the board ; we then went into the house and found that every thing (such as provisions, water and clothes) was gone, the spars were still fast by the rigging and the sea running so high that we would not cut them away; the sea breaking with great violence over the stern, we all went forward of the windlass, where we secured ourselves with ropes. About 10 o'clock, A. M., the cook died. Friday, 27th, about 5 P. M., the rigging parted and all the spars went clear over u8; latter part blowing hard, with a heavy on. Saturday, 28th, blowing hard from N.W. During the night the stern was stove in. In latter part saw a bark to windward, under close reefed main topsail. Sunday, 29th, blowing hard with a heavy sea on. Latter part moderate-two brigs in sight. Mondayblowing hard. Tuesday, 1st, do. Wednesday-pleasant. Thursday, 3d-blowing hard during the night. One seaman died; about 10, A M., saw a bark to windward under double reefed topsails—seeing our signal, ran down and took us off, at 11 30, A. M. She proved to be the Bremen bark John George, Geerken, bound to New-York, in lat. 25 50, long. 69 22. The mate and cook were in the house at the time of tht. accident, and were got out in a state of great exhause ion by breaking in one of the windows. During the time we were on the wreck we had nothing to eat or drink, and were completely drenched to the skin the whole time. The name of the seaman that died was Richard Williams. [The above is signed by Captain Haven and his mate.]

Brig Zelica went ashore on Chance Island, at the mouth of Machias Bay, evening of 25th, in a severe snow storm, bilged, and was full of water. Crew and two passengers saved.

Ship Areatus, in the gale of the 25th, lost a small anchor and chain, and broke her sheet anchor.

Schooner Ocean was run ashore at the mouth of the Kennebec river during the gale of the 25th and 26th.

Brig Science, of New-York, had to cut away foro mast night of the 25th, to prevent going ashore.

Schooner Eliza, Messerole, from New York, bound to Port Walthall, put into Norfolk on the 28th, in distress. Encountering a severe gale on the 25th, split her sails and leaked so freely as to have at one period three feet of water in her hold; continuing to leak freely, made for Norfolk, and on her arrival leaks at the rate of 2000 strokes per hour.

Brig Oriole, from Charleston, on the 25th, in the gale, lost part of her deck load, stove house, split sails and received other damage.

Schooner Franklin, of Belsast, lost both anchors and went ashore on Cape Elizabeth, in the storm, night of the 25th.

Bark Levant, from Cardenas, experienced very heavy gales froin S.W. to N.W. from the 25th to the 27th; carried away main topsail yard and sprung the fore topsail yard.

Brig Elizabeth, from Cardenas, on the 25th, experienced heavy gales from W.N.W., which continued for 24 hours.

At Addison, night of the 25th, schooner Helen Gray was driven above high water mark. Schooner Lex. ington dragged her anchors up the river two miles, and brought up alongside the road where common tides will not reach her. Schooner Henry Clay was sunk after tearing away half the bridge. Schooner Hero is also ashore, and other vessels are damaged.

Bark Henrietta, from St. John, N. B., on the 25th, in a heavy gale from N.W., lost overboard Mr. Ed. ward Lawrence, 1st officer, of New York, who was unfortunately drowned ; in the same gale stove bulwarks, cabin door, sky-light, and lost deck load.

Man Frozen.-William Hatch, of Worthington, was frozen to death between that place and Cummington, on the night of the 25th. He had been to Cummington ou this day, and was returning to his family. When within ten rods of the house of Mr. Fordyce Knapp, being unable to encounter the wind and snow, he fell by the roadside. On the Friday morning following, his wife being concerned for his safety, sent a boy for him. He enquired at Mr. Knapp's, and as some of the family went to the door, the unfortunate man was first seen. A few articles which he had obtained for Thanksgiving, were found near him. The snow was quite deep and the road had not been broken out. He leaves a wife and ten eleven children in poor circumstances. -Northampton (Mass.) Courier.

Schooner Album, from Fredericksburg for Boston, went ashore during the gale on the night of 25th.

Steamer Portland, Eastport, noon of 25th of Nov.British steamer North America, for Boston, left two hours before, at dark saw the N. A. going into Moosepecca

Head Harbor. About that time it commenced snowing very fast and blowing very hard. The Portland ran for Mt. Desert, and succeeded in making a harbor: the wind, which was N.E. soon hauled round to S.E. and S., and blew a perfect hurricane. One brig and seven schooners went ashore in sight of the P. at Cranberry Isles and S.W. Harbor. Four schooners and one sloop were ashore at Bass Harbor, and a schooner at Deer Isle A large schooner was ashore in Fox Island, in a bad situation. Saw Haytien bark Canton ashore on the Muscle ridges. Capt. Rogers fears that the North America went ashore in the gale.

Schooner Eugenia, from New-York, on the night of the 25th experienced a tremendous gale from W.N.W., accompanied with snow, which swept deck load, carried away sails, stove boat, broke rudder, and was obliged to scud under bare poles for the space of 46 hours, the sea making a complete breach over uswere blown across the Gulf stream twice.

Ship McLellan, from New-York for Liverpool on the 25th, off South Shoals, Nantucket, experienced a heavy gale of wind from N.W., rung off the head of her rudder, broke the bolts in the rudder braces, sprung mainmast, the ship making in the gale 500 strokes per hour.

Brig Palestine on the 25th, Sandy Hook bearing W.S.Ě. 26 miles, took the gale from W.N.W. to N.N.W.-bore away before the wind and scudded 33 hours under bale poles. On the 27th, experienced heavy eather, wind from W.N.W., and on the 29th made Block Island, wind blowing from W.N.W. to N.W., bore up for Newport.

Ship Areatus reports taking the gale on the afternoon of the 25th from the S.E.--came to anchor in Vineyard Sound, two miles off Tarpaulin Cove, blowing a most tremendous gale, with snow and sleetbarometer gradually falling until it arrived to 28.50, where it remained five hours; on Thursday, the gale shifted more to the northward, still blowing very heavy; lost our best bower and were saved from going ashore by the stream and larboard ancher hooking under a cable or something of that nature on the bottom. During the gale dragged six miles (but kept in ship channel)

and within a cable length of the breakers. The A. has been blown off twice during the gales.

Schooner Herald, from New-York for Philadelphia, sprung a leak in the gale of the 25th, lost sails and rudder, and when abandoned had three feet water in her hold.

Schooner Frances Elizabeth, of Gloucester, was totally lost near Spurling's Point, Me., in a gale of 25th.

Ship Hermine, from Bremen, on the 25th, lat. 43, long. 59, in a heavy gale from S.W. to N. W., shipped a heavy sea, carried away bulwarks, monkey rail, boat and received other damage.

Schooner Emily Johnson, from New York, on the 25th, was blown 300 miles to the eastward, lost sails, boats, spars, &c., and sprung a leak, rendering necessary the constant working of the pumps.

Schooner Josepha Turner, at Providence from Bos

ton, on the 25th and 26th, off Barnegat, experienced a violent gale from N.W, was knocked down and had decks filled with water, had decks swept of a number of small articles; had galley capsized, and lost stove and cooking utensils, &c.

Snow STORM IN BERKSHIRE.---The storm of last Wednesday and Thursday was of a severity rarely witnessed at this season of the year. We should judge that the snow fell over a font deep op a level. It has so drifted, however, that the traveling has not been much improved by the substitution of sleighs for carriages. The weather was so bad on Thursday, that the contemplated services at the several churches in this town, with the exception of the 1st Congregational church were suspended.-Pittsfield Eagle.

Brig Madison, from New-York for Savannah, experienced very severe weather on the 25th and 26th, during which time lost overboard two horses and part of deck load.

A hurricane of unusual violence, by which much loss has been occasioned to the shipping interests, occurred at Madras on the 25th of November. Similar visitations at this season of the year are frequent on the eastern side of India from Calcutta to the line ; they are almost unknown in the Arabian sex on the western shore of the Peninsula.

On December 12, Mr. Winslow wrote from Madras, India, as follows:

Since my last we have had a second storm, ending in a hurricane, which has done much damage. It commenced raining on the 21st of November, and continued, with some wind, until the 25th, then the wind increased; and from 7 o'clock in the evening of that day, until 10 o'clock the next morning, increasing until it was supposed that the pressure was not less than thirty-seven pounds to the square foot, though the instrument failed when the pressure reached twenty-seven pounds, and could not then be repaired. The damage is greater than that occasioned by the storm and inundation of the preceding month. Many of the houses of the poor natives. partly rebuilt have been destroyed; and not a few of a better class than those before injured, have now fallen. We have suffered again, but principally in the walls around our houses and the church. Editor of the Scientific American.

Dear Sir-Noticing the state of the atmosphere in different localities on the 25th of November last, as presented by E. Meriam, in your last weeks Scientific American. I thought proper to send you a statement of the same thing at the Cape of Good Hope. My Journal kept on board the barque Hersilia of Boston, from Calcutta to New-York, reads as follows.

Wednesday 25th of Nov. at 3 P.M. all appearance of bad weather. Handed the topgallant sails and took two reefs in the topsails ; at 4 P.M. took in the spanker and jib, and at 6 P.M. furled the mainsail.– The wind blowing a heavy gale from the south west quarters, with sharp lightning from the westward.Āt midnight furled the foresail

, foretopsail and fore mast staysail and brought her too under a close reefed maintopsail the gale increasing one of the topgallant sails got adrift, and 2d officer in going aloft to make it fast had his shirt nearly blown off his back. The barque rides well and is a fair specimen of a good sea boat. Lat. by account 35° 18' S. and long. 17° 38' E.

This is a correct account, and probably would add to the accuracy of E. Meriam's suggestion.

Yours truly,

March 9, 1847.

The British Steamer North America, from Halifax, for Boston, wrecked off Mount Desert.-See ante.

split her sails, stove her bulwarks and received other damage.

Rrig George, of Frankfort, went ashore in the gale of the morning of the 26ih, at Little River.

Bark Isabella, from Crooked Island, on the 26th, lat. 36 30, long. 71, in a gale from S.W. to W.N.W., split rudder head, stove bulwarks and boat, split sails, &c., and was obliged to throw overboard about 500 bushels of salt to lighten the vessel.

Schooner Columbia, from Georgetown, D. C., on the 26th, was off Egg Harbor, and was blown off in a westerly gale, split sails and sprung a leak.

The Morning Star, in a gale of the 26th, cut away foremast and lost deck load, between Cape Poge and the life-boat.

Bark Pario on the 26th, in lat. 35 30, long. 71 30, experienced a severe gale.

Schooner Henry, of Boston, was lost on Long Key, Crooked Island, on the 26th, in a N.W. gale.

Schooner Rival went ashore at Tarpaulin Cove in the violent N.W. gale of the 26th.

Bark Johann George, from Bremen, in lat. 35 50, long. 69 22, fell in with the wreck of the brig Pallas, from St. John's bar for Portland ; she was knocked down on her beam ends on the 26th in a gale, filled with water; after cutting away her masts she righted; took from her the captain, mate and crew; the cook Thomas Curtis, and a seaman Richard Williams, died during the time they were on the wreck. Had no provisions or water.

Black Frost.-On the 23d inst. we chronicled a white frost as having been seen in this city on the 21st. Yesterday morning ice was formed in our city. -Savannah Georgian, Nov. 27.

Brig R. de Zaldo, from New-York, bound to Kingsston, Jam., encountered a hurricane from the S.W. on the 26th, was hove on her beam ends ; lost mainmast, stove bulwarks, carried away stancheons, and caused the brig to leak; sprung bowsprit and foretopmast.

The passengers for the Atlantic left Boston at halfpast five o'clock on Wednesday afternoon and reached Allyn's Point at half past eleven P.M. The Atlan. tic left New London for New-York between twelve at midnight and one o'clock on Thursday morning, and when about nine miles outside of the light house, the steam pipe running into the steam chimney bursted, rendering the engine entirely useless.

The steamer was immediately anchored, and happily remained fast throughout the dark and stormy night; and when daylight broke she was still abreast of the New London light, but gradually nearing the shore.

To ease her the steampipes were first cut away, next the pilot-house, and then the bulk-heads so as to give the wind a clear sweep through the vessel, and expose less surface to its attack.

The colors, says Mr. Stetson, in an account published in the Herald, were hoisted half-mast, but on the Mohegan's attempting some measures to go to her assistance, were hauled down by order of Captain Dustan, who knew that her efforts would be ineflectual. Thus the steamer remained all day, till toward five in the afternoon of Thursday, the wind lulled, and hopes were raised that all danger was over ; but not long after, the wind shifted two points, and blew with more than previous violence.

The confusion incident to the disabling the steamer in a perfect hurricane.rendering her entirely unmanageable superadded to the anguish of the scalded and the terror of all on board is indescribable. The intense cold was another source of suffering to the passengers, all the fires having been extinguished on Thursday morning. As the boat continued to drift, the passengers prepared themselves with life preservers, (belonging to the boat) &c. to effect a landing if possible as soon as she should strike.

About noon Capt. Dustan lightened the vessel by throwing overboard 40 tons of coal and heavy smoke pipes, and later in the day he caused the deck to be cleared of the merchandize with which she was freight. ed to a great value.

All Thursday night the gale continued to increase and in despite of her anchors and heavy weights attached to cables, she continued to drift till two o'clock Friday morning, and for two hours (from two till four o'clock,) lay within a cables leugth of the breakers, held by her auchors. At about half past 4, the stern

p. 644.

Thursday, November 26. At Sullivan, Me., during the gale of the 26th, schooners Armadillo, Dirigo, Katahdin, Morning Star, and one or two others, drifted on shore. Several small vessels in Trenton Bay went ashore, and it is said fifteen vessels went on shore at Bass Harbor, Mt. Desert. The gale was very severe, commencing at the N.E., and during the night to the W.N.W.

Brig Republic, from Mobile, on the 26th, lat. 31, long. 75, experienced a severe gale from N.W. ; 30th, lat. 37, long. 73 30, experienced a gale from N. W.,

p. 650.

Brig Tecumseh, from Boston, on the 27th, lat. 39, long. 70, experienced a violent gale from W.N.W. which threw the brig on her beam ends, stove bul. warks, boat and galley ; broke stancheons, split sails, and suffered much in rigging. Fraucis Auter, seaman, of Western Isles, was swept overboard during the gale and drowned.

Saturday, November 28. Earth quake at Porto Rico. See ante.

Schooner Ann Elizabeth, on the 28th, in a heavy blow, got on the Matchepungo shoals.

Sunday, November 29. Brig St. Mark's, of Boston, was wrecked on Turk's Island on the morning of the 29th; no lives lost. A heavy gale from the north had prevailed for some days.

Schooner Agawam, Frazer, which left New-York at 84 A. M., on the 29th Nov., while reducing sail about 34 P. M., was struck by a heavy squall and im. mediately after by a sudden gnist, or whirlwind, which capsized her; the captain and crew got upon the vessel's side, and with great difficulty took a lady passenger (Mrs. Hein) out of the cabin, by this time it was blowing a heavy gale; the captain was washed overboard with the lady, while supporting her : they reached again, however, and when nearly exhausted, were taken off by the brig William Davis, from New. York for New-Orleans, and the lady taken on board, but all exertions to revive her failed. She was frozen to death. The captain and crew were quite exhausted, and in another hour would have perished.

Ship T. P. Cope destroyed by lightning. See ante

p. 650.

touched on a ledge of rocks jutting out from Fisher's Island, and both cables instantaneously parted, and she broached too lying broadside to the shore, in a heavy surf. She struck with appalling violence, and in five minutes after she went to pieces. In an instant nearly 40 souls were ushered into eternity.

There were six females, four children, and two infants among the passengers. All the females were drowned or crushed to death. Only one of the chil. dren, a boy of 12, was saved, and he was the only one of the family of which he was a member. His father, mother, married sister, and a younger sister, and two young brothers, were on board. The two infants were drowned, frozen, or crushed to death.

Mr. James Stetson, 2d captain of the Atlantic, jast before the vessel struck, was ordered by Capt. Dustan to go forward and at the proper moment let go the chains. At that time the Capt. stood upon the promenade deck giving his orders as calmly and with as Jittle apparent emotion as if upon shore. All his efforts seemed to be for the preservation of his passengers, his own fate was joined with that of the vessel which he commanded. From that time nothing is known of Captain Dustan, till the recovery of his dead body.

Mr Stetson went forward with Mr. Kingston, first mate, Mr. Boyle, the clerk, and Charles Christian deck hand; the latter was lashed to a long rope and lowered so that communication could be had with the shore, but the violence of the waves tore him from the line, and he himself was saved with great difficulty. The others mentioned were, when she struck, washed overboard and reached the land in safety.

It is impossible to arrive at a full list as yet of the Passengers saved and lost. There were in all on board about 120 persons, of whom thirty were passengers from Boston.

We learn from Mr. W. W. Boyle, clerk on board that after the steam chest parted, the vessel Aoated some little way and let go both anchors about one o'clock Thursday morning, where she lay. The gale continuing to increase, the grates belonging to the boilers were taken from thern, attached to a cable made ou board, and thrown overboard as an additionalanchor. The baggage and cargo were thrown overboard, and probably most of it was washed ashore by the violence of the gale. She did not leak a particle from the time she anchored. The anchorage was very bad, as nothing but stone or rocks were found.

The passengers numbered about 45. Every body on board of the boat was provided with preservers. A great many threw themselves immediately overboard into the surf, and depended entirely upon the waves to throw them ashore.

Three waiters and the 4th cook, and most of the passengers, were lost by the falling of the promenade deck. The list of passengers, both from Boston and Norwich is saved, and was given in charge of the steward by the clerk for safe keeping, but as it was wet, and required to be dried before it could be used, no further particulars can be given with any certainty.

The passengers and crew were treated with great hospitality by Mr. Winthrop, who resides on the island, and desire to return their sincere thanks to him for his very kind attention to them.

There are only two houses on the island, one of which is Mr. Winthrop's, as above stated.

The bodies that were saved were carried over to New-London for interment, and all the requisite attention will be given to the recovered bodies, (such as procuring coffins, shrouds, &c. and giving them a respectable burial,) by the officers attached to the Nor. wich and Worcester Railroad Co., if the friends of the deceased do not receive early intelligence enough of this sad event.

Capt. Dustan's body was brought up to this city by the Long Island Railroad train, and was taken immediately to his residence on Staten Island. His wife knew nothing of this event until the dead body of her husband was brought home. Capt. D. leaves five children, the eldest of whom is only 14 years of age. He intended to have had his life insured on his next passage home. We learn that Capt. D. leaves but a slight dependence for his family.

The Atlantic was valued at about $80,000, and was insured both against fire and sea risk.-

Jour. Com. At about 4 o'clock, on Friday morning, the Atlantic was struck by a heavy sea, which threw her stern upon a rock, and her bow swung round with tremen

dous force, snapping her chain cables and bedded itself upon a group of rocks. A succession of heavy seas soon reduced this noble specimen of human skill and naval architecture to a floating mass of fragments.

Our informant was on the upper deck with Capt. Dustan and five or six others. He was several times thrown completely across the boat, but finally succeeded by means of the crane, in reaching the leeward quarter boat. Capt. Dustan and others likewise jumped into the same boat. Upon a suggestion being made by Capt. D. as to the unsafety of their position, Mr. Gooding left the boat, reached the bul. wark gangway, and lowered himself over the side, succeeded in reaching the shore, being, as he thinks, the second one to leave the vessel.

Capt. D. left the boat, and likewise lowered him. self over the side, but most probably the vessel went to pieces before he could clear her. The crew were all saved but three. There were thought to be about 70 passengers on board, of whom some forty or fifty were lost. There were seven families on board, four passengers, and three attached to the boat, all of whom were lost.

Further Particulars. Since the above was in type, we learu from the Merchants' Exchange Books, that Capt. Hauna, who was on board the Atlantic, arrived in this city this forenoon, and furnishes the following additional particulars.

Before dark in the afternoon of the 26th, he advised Captain Dustan to cut the cables and let her go ashore, which Capt. Dustan declined to do. At dark the vessel was within a cables length of the reet on Fisher's Island.

At about half past 4 P. M. on Thursday, Rev. Mr. Armstrong and about fifty passengers, went down below to join in prayer and exhortation. Mr. Armstrong was afterwards drowned.

He was alone with Capt. Dustan on the upper saloon aft, when the boat struck, and he heard Capt. D. ex: claim," she has gone !" Capt. Hanna then attempted to get forward, as the reef extended from the stern to amidships, and the bow lay in a comparatively better condition for getting ashore. The boat struck midships, and her machinery went through the bottom. He thinks that all who were saved have beeu brought to New London, and also thinks that all those in the saloon were lost, as the sea stove in the upper deck, Capt. Hanna, lowered himself from the stern, and was thrown by the sea over the rocks, on shore, where he managed to scramble upon the beach.

During the night previons, they had got some bars from about the boiler, and made an extra anchor.The anchor held until within ten feet of the reef. Capt. H. thinks he was the only person on the after part of the boat who was saved. Capt. D. was very cool during the whole time, and did every thing that was possible to save the vessel.

The funnels and pilot house were cut away about noon of the 26th. The wind most of the time W. by N.

Forty-two persons perished in this awful shipwreck.

As soon as the boat struck, its bell commenced tolling, probably from the action of the wind upon it, aud continued to toll slowly and mournfully, as long as any portion of the wreck was to be seen.

The gale in which the Atlantic perished, and her honored commander lost his life, will rank among the most severe and furious, with which our coast has ever been visited. We learn that the passengers and crew of the unfortunate steamer deported themselves with great calmness and self possession during the trying scene which immediately preceded and followed her destruction. Capt. Dustan rendered all the assistance in his power to those endeavoring to save themselves; in doing which, his own valuable life was undoubtedly sacrificed.-Boston Times.

Friday, November 27. Brig Joseph Pratt, on the 27th, in a heavy gale from N.W. lost boats, all the water, and sails, with the exception of the main staysail and fore topsail split.

The Weather.-After a heavy snow storm, succeeded by a tolerably severe “cold snap," which came well nigh closing our canals, the weather yesterday moderated, and a thaw was making considerable progress last evening.--Cincinnati Allas, Nov. 28.

SNOW Colt.-We have had severe weather since the snow-cold, very cold, the thermometer this morning at 11 des. above zero.-Columbus (Ohio) Stalesman, Nov. 27.

Monday, November 30. Bark Roman, from Bordeaux, had a very severe gale from S.S.W. on the 30th.

Ship Sea, from Liverpool, on the 30th, off Sable Island, experienced a very heavy gale from the west.

EDGARTOWN, Dec. 6.-Schooner Warren, from Phi. ladelphia for Boston ; in a heavy gale from N., Nov. 30th, was obliged to throw overboard about 19 tons of coal, occasioning the vessel to leak considerably.

Tuesday, December 1. A gale had visited Bermuda, Dec. 1, and a ship which had anchored at Murray's Anchorage the previous Sunday had a signal of distress flying. It appears that the ship was the Br. Queen from England, and that about half after four o'clock on Monday evening, haying carried away two of her anchors, slipped the cable of the third and went to sea. Much anxiety was felt for her safety as no pilot was on board. Capt. Lord, however conducted his ship safely to sea.

Schr. Iowa, from Richmond, threw overboard on the 1st during a gale, 100 bbls. of flour and some iron.

Brig Abbathula, from Portland, on the 1st encountered a severe gale from S.W. to N.W. in which lost mainsail, boat, &c., split foresail, and received other damage in sails and rigging.

Wednesday, December 2.
Earthquake at Deerfield, N. H.

Sunday, December 6. Packet ship Saracen, from Glasgow, experienced from the 6th to the 28th, severe gales with thunder and lightning. Passed Sable Island four times and was drove back with heavy gales and whirlwinds from all points of the compass.

Thursday, December 10. Capt. Hunt, of ship. Tonquin, reports that on the 10th of Dec. at 4 o'clock P.M., in the Straits of Japan, he saw an Am. ship under full sail about 10 miles astern of him, when a squall struck her, and she was thrown down; when she righted she had lost her topgallant masts and laid with her head toward the Banco Shore, very

Discovery Rock." There was an English Brig near her. The T. felt the squall slightly.

Ship Cohota-Extract from the Captain's journal. Left Manilla, Nov. 30. December 10th commenced with fresh breezes and clear, pleasant weather, all drawing sails set ; at 10 A.M. made Gaspar Island : took in all the light sails at noon; rounded Gaspar, distant 2 miles; continuance of fresh freezes and cloudy. At 2 P.M. Pulo Light abeam ; breeze moderating; set foretopmast and topgallant studding sails and main sky sail ; at 3 P.M. entered the passage between the Van Stuart's Shoal, and 2 fathom bank, and opened


the straits formed by Pulo Lepa and Banca Island ; gale from S.E. but received no additional injury-all
when we were struck by a heavy squall from between that was received being on the 12th.
the Islands, heaving the ship down on her beam ends,

Saturday, December 12.
so much so as to make it impossible to stand on the
deck without holding on. I immediately gave orders Schr. Narragansett, of Dennis, from New-York for
to let go the halliards and tacks fore and aft; we suc-

Boston, ran upon the Sow and Pigs, Cutty Hurk, on ceeded in getting down some of the light sails, but

the 12th Dec. and went to pieces in thirty minutes.the topgallant and topsail yards hung to the masts,

The crew floated off upon the quarter deck, and driftwhen the fore and maintopmasts, flying jib-boom,

od near the shore on Gay Head at 10 A.M., when mizzen topgallant mast, topmast, studding sail booms,

the quarter deck broke to pieces, and by the assistand all the gear attached, went over the sides, the

ance of the Indians on the Head they were all taken ends of the broken spars catching the main-sail

on shore out of the surf. Alden Baker, of Denuis, and spanker, tore them to pieces; the studding cook, died from exhaustion, and his body has been sail boom falling across the boats injured them ; and

brought to this place to be sent home. The rest of

the crew are well. the foretopsail yard broke down the monkey rail ; the ship being in a very dangerous situation, with a shole

The weather thus far, has been remakable for its not three miles under the lee, and a strong current

mildness, and with few exceptions, for its serenity and setting right down on it, with no other sail than a fore. beauty. Just now our citizens are enjoying a pure, bail and mizzen top sail, which I had succeeded in

cold and bracing air, with a brilliant sunshine by day, getting down—the neck hanging over the side and

and bright starlight by night. We have seen no ice, dragging in the water, prevented the ship's going

nor do we believe the Thermometer has yet descendahead—the situation of the ship becoming more dan

ed as low as the freezing point.-N. 0. Bee, Dec. 12. gerous every moment, with the wind and current set

Sunday, December 13. ing us down on the shoal, the safety of the ship obliged

Brig J. W. Huntington, from Trinidad de Cuba, on me to cut away the wreck fore and aft as soon as possible the 13:h, 150 miles from Sandy Hook, was blown and get the foresail and mizzen topsail set, the wind off in a N.W. gale as far as lat. 36, long. 65, 40 ; stove hauling back to the N.W., so I could lay up to wind

bulwarks, caboose, rails, split sails, &c. 17th and ward of Van Sittart's Shoal. As soon as the rain

and 18th, experienced a severe hurricane from S.W. held up, I got cross bearings from Entrance Point and

to N.IV. Pulo Leaf, which put the shoal 1 mile under my lee.

Tuesday, December 15. By this time I had got rid of the wreck and had set the foresail and mizzen topsail; the ship gathered

Sch. E. A. Thompson, from Nassau, arrived at Norheadway and for half an hour I was in constant ex

folk 21st, with loss of head of foremast, &c., carried pectation of striking, the water being very dcep close

away during the gale of 15th and 16th, being com. to the reef, but the wind lulling up so much to the

pelled to lay too 52 hours. northward that I made force wind and weathered the

Wednesday, December 16. shoal. When we had plenty of room to look around

Bark Strafford, from New Orleans, on the 16th, lat. uus, I found the head of the mizzen topmast and miz. zen mast to be badly sprung. I shaped my course

26 30, long. 87, in a heavy gale from S.W., lost the

foretopmast, jib and Aying jibbooms, foretopgallant for Batavia, to repair damages, where we arrived in

yard and maintopgallant mast. three days, under the foresail, mizzen topsail, jib and spanker, on the 13th December. This very heavy

The storm on Wednesday, 16th, says the Lafourche gust of wind blew for 20 minutes in a most furious

(La.) Minerva, was quite severe in this vicinity. The manner, and then passed over, having a fresh breeze dwelling of Mr. Webb, a few miles below this place, which enabled me to save the ship. After my arrival

was blown down; likewise the sugar purjery and at Batavia I found that the head of my mainmast was

boiling room of Col. Halcomb, and purjery of T. Bibb, badly sprung, and one of the cheeks had settled down, Esq., opposite this town. Fortunately the rain ceased and also split four inches; the head of the foremast

in a short time after, or great damage would have rented, so much as to have it banded.

been occasioned to the sugar. Several negroes and A small schooner, which was captured at Tampico,

one white person were severely injured, but no lives

lost. was driven ashore and lost on Green Island, in a norther, on the night of the 10th. She was command

Sch. Alicia, from Ragged Island, on the 16th, off ed by Lieut. Winslow, who, with his entire crew, we

Cape Hatteras, encountered a most terrific gale, acare happy to say, were saved.

companied with a very high sea, which coutinued run.

ning for two days. It began to snow here last evening before seven o'clock, the wind moderated from the eastward, and

Sch. Eliza Ann, from Richmond, on the 16th enthe snow fell during the night to the depth of from

countered a gale, in which had main-boom broken, three to four inches on a level. We are informed that Lewis, Del. Dec. 18.-Sch. Samuel Roberts, from it hung so heavily on the telegraphic wires in this St. Domingo for New-York, (put in during Wednesday vicinity as to break them, and thus interrupt the com- night for a harbor) struck on the bar, about 300 yards munication between this city and New-York. Snow below the “ Mole," and was drove high on the beach. fell between this city and Providence to the depth of The cook was carried off by a piece of the Mole, and twelve inches.- Boston Jour. Dec. 11.

perished before assistance could be rendered. This Snow.—During last night, about a foot of snow

is believed to be the only life that was lost during the fell in this region, and the sleighs are flying about the

gale, when it is taken into consideration that the blow streets briskly.--Nem Haven Reg. Dec. 11.

of yesterday was one of the most fearful that we have Snow.-Winter is upon us, but not with its accus

experienced for many years in this vicinity, it is truly

a source of gratulation that it has been attended with tomcd severity, The ground was covered with snow

80 small a loss of life. on Thursday morning, and what is singular the air is alive with pigeons making their way north. They

The Norfolk Beacou of Friday says ;-We hear have left their southern harbors in the wrong time,

that a ship is ashore 2 miles S. of Cape Henry Light and it is probable they will all perish.-Niles (Mich.) House, being driven on the night of the 16th during Rep. Dec. 13.

the most fearful blow that we have had during the

year. Friday, December 11.

Sch. Chas. Alatrum, from Nassau, N. P., experienced Bark Olga, from Smyrna, on the 11th, lat. 40 15,

a succession of violeut gales from the S. and E. until long. 7030, wind shifting suddenly from N.E. to N.W.

the night of the 16th, when she was overtaken by a lost main yard and spanker boom, foretopsail, mainsail

hurricane from the S. which carried away jibboom, and spanker; 12th, while lying under two close reefed

fore and main sails, galley, head rail, and main part of topsails parted foretopsail sheets, lost sail, &c.; 17th,

bulwarks. midnight, Boston light bearing W. by N. 4 miles, lost a close reefed foretopsail and spanker.

Sch. Expedite, on the 16th, lat. 36_20, long. 71 25, Ship Manchester, from Baltimore for Liverpool,

experieuced a severe gale from S.E. carried away

boom, &c. &c. from the 11th to the 27th, encountered a succession of gales from E.S.E. during which sprung a leak, and

Capt. Leavitt, of ship Louisa, reports that he expebad to throw overboard the bulk of about 300 bbls. rienced, off Cape Hatteras, a violent gale of wind of her cargo; lost stern boat, carried away bulwarks,

from E.S.E. to W.N.W. which lasted 3 days, from the and sustained some other damage. On the 17th, in

16th to the 19tb, in which they lost two boats, &c. the Gulf Stream, experienced a particularly heavy Snow.-The Cumberland (Md.) Civilian states,

that it commenced snowing on Wednesday night 16th, and continued all Thursday, and at the time we write the ground is covered to the depth of nearly eighteen inches.

From the Wilmington Chronicle Extra.-Friday, Dec. 18, 12 o'clock M.—The steamer Gladiator, Capt. Smith, which left here on yesterday, for Charleston, but without proceeding any further than the mainbar, has just returned with the steamer Vanderbilt in tow, from Capt. Potter of the Vanderbilt, we learn the fol. lowing particulars :

The Vanderbilt came out of Charleston at her usual hour on Wednesday, about 3 P.M. At 10, off Georgetown, the wind, which had been blowing some time in heavy gusts, set into a furious gale from the East, accompanied with some rain. At about 11 the steamer was thrown on her beom ends. After a while she righted, not having been essentially damaged. At 2 on Thursday morning she was again thrown on her beam ends, her rudder carried away, both wheel houses nearly demolished, one of her masts broken off close to the deck, the mail department broken up, and al, the mails from the south, taken in at Charleston, to gether with the Charleston mails swept into the oceanThe steamer righted again in a short time, and not having had her machinery injured, proceeded on her way, the wind continuing to blow tremendously, as it did until 12 on Thursday.

By great skill and judgment, Capt. Potter worked the steamer along without a rudder for 40 miles, brought her up to the main bar, when she was met by the Gladiator, taken in tow, and both got up to Smithville at 9 last night, from thence the. V. was towed to town by the Gladiator. The passengers who were on board bestow the very highest commenda tions on the Vanderbilt, as also on the management of Capt. Potter, the officers and crew, in the awful con-. Alict with the elements.

Half-past 2 o'clock.— The Steamer Wilmington, Wade, has just arrived without damage. Capt. W. reports experiencing the squalls and gales that the Vanderbilt did.

Thursday, December 17. DISASTERS IN THE BAY, &c.- We have already recorded the loss of a number of bay vessels by the gale of Thursday last, but we are able to give but few

Since our last, we have heard further particulars, which we subjoin : -The schr. Waterville, Capt. Reed, from N. York, arrived late on Friday evening, in five days. She had a beautiful run of 24 hours from Sandy Hook to the Capes, but since she came in has experienced very rough weather. She saw a schooner ashore off Folly's Point, name not known. Off the same Point, a schr. Crifted by them with the bowsprit gone, and sails flying loose, nobody seen on board. She was going alongside to the sea. Near her was a canoe, bottom upward. This was probably the same schooner mentioned by Capt. Tarr, of the brig Sarah Ellen, from Portland ; in his report he says; “On Wednesday night, while at anchor off Annapolis, was run foul of by a small schooner laden with wood, receiving but little injury. The Capt. thought the schooner must have sunk with all on board, as cries were heard from her saying " she was sinking,” and appealing for assistance. On account of the gale, no assistance could be given, and she was seen no more."

The schr. Wicomico, mentioned as having gone ashore and lost on Bodkin Point, was from Wicomico river, on the eastern shore. Her crew, composed of five men, had a narıdw escape. When she went on shore, it was proposed that the small boat should be prepared for saving the lives of the crew, but some of ihem first refused to leave the vessel. They however concluded on leaving, and the boat was prepared they all got in, cut the lines and let her go, and reached the shore in safety. The schr. went to pieces in half an hour after leaving her. She was laden with


square timber.

The schr. Catharine Murphy, from Great Wicomico, Va., went ashore between Talley's Point and Horn Point. The crew six in number, left her in a small boat, and after almost freezing, got to an old barn, where they kindled a fire by which they remained. one boy was very near freezing to death.

The schr. Committee, from Great Wicomico, Va., was wrecked near the saine place and the entire crew, three whites and two blacks perished.

« PreviousContinue »