Page images

The schr. Gallant, from Great Wicomico, Va., also went ashore ; alsu the schr. William James. The letter from Annapolis given below, expresses a belief that the crew of the Catharine Murphy and the Gallant perished. Our information leads us to believe this a mistake. The crews of both were saved.

The ice-boat Relief, came up on Saturday evening, having towed the ship Leila out of the river. She passed off North Point, the brig Carolina of Boston, bound up-also an eastern topsail schr. name not known, and a ship at Swan pipe bound up.

The gale we doubt not, has been very severe on the coast, we have heard but a little yet outside of the Capes. We are told that so heavy a blow has not been experienced at Norfolk and below for a number of years. One ship as will be seen by the marine report, was ashore, near Cape Henry, and the southern mail last night leaves room for apprehensions of the worst kind.

The following letter is from our Annapolis correspondent:

ANNAPOLIS, Dec. 19, 1845. Still further particulars of the Gale.--Schr. Committee, crew consisting of two whites and three blacks, all hands perished from the cold, and vessel completely wrecked.

Schrs. Catharine Murphy, and Gallant, also another schooner outside Talley's bar capsized and no doubt all hands perished.

Schr. Aurora, of Oxford, ashore on Oyster Creektwo other vessels ashore between Thomas' and Talley's Points.

The extent of the damage and suffering attending this gale, cannot be arrived at with any degree of cer. tainty. Every honr brings us additional news of a distressing and melancholy character. Many of the sufferers are now among us.

Our citizens who are ever ready to administer to and sympathize for the distressed, have called those virtues into requisition in the present instance, by alleviating their distresses to the utmost of their ability.

It is the opinion of the • knowing ones” that this awful calamity would have been in part averted, if a light house had been erected, as I believe was contemplated some year's since, at Greensbury's Point, it being impossible for them to reach Thomas' Point light in time to make harbor and avert danger ; and many a poor soul gave up in hopeless despair to submit to a watery grave.

Lost IN THE GALE.—In the gule of the 17th of Dec. Capt. Wm. Vickers, eldest son of Capt. James Vickers, of Cambridge, Md., was lost, together with his crew. The deceased was overtaken by the gale whilst in the bay, and it is supposed his vessel sprung a leak, and all on board found a watery grave.

THE SNOW STORM.-The snow storm which commenced in New-York on Thursday, noon, reached here about 5 o'clock, Utica about midnight, Syracuse a litile before sunrise Friday, and Rochester at precisely 12 o'clock Friday. Its progress was gradual against the prevailing current of air.—Albany Eve. Jour.

EARTHQUAKE.–From Trinidad, we learn that a severe shock of an earthquake was experienced on the night of the 17th December, at half past 10 o'clock. The Spectator says—" It lasted for a considerable time, commencing with a light tremulous motion, but became pretty strong as it drew near the end."

Brig Savannah, from New-York for Savannah, on the 17th experienced a very heavy gale from the S.E. which continued for three days.

Sch. Wm. Wright had very heavy weather, and in the snow storm of the 17th, off Block Island, stove boat and received other damage.

Brig Dahlia, from New York bound to Cuba, was lost off Cape Henry in the gale of the 17th. Passengers and crew saved. Passengers who arrived here on Saturday and went north on that day, describe the hurricane as a very severe one.- Norfolk paper.

Ship Norma, from Havana, on the 17th, while lying to in a severe gale, a sea boarded the ship, carried away the main rail fore staunchious, split plank shear, stove galley, and one other sea carried away part of the cabin bulkhead, nearly filling the cabin with water. The gale was very severe and lasted two days.

Sch. Oregou on the 17th encountered a violent gale

from E.N.E. in Delaware Bay, which carried away jibboom, best bower anchor, part of chain, &c.

Lewis, Del., 17th—A heavy gale is now blowing from E.N.E. weather very thick, accompanied with a heavy fall of snow. The schr. Marquis, from Fredericksburg, was driven ashore during the gale this forenoon, on the beach near the Mole.

Friday, December 18. Ship Columbus, from Calcutta, on the 18th, 5 P. M., Cape Cod light bore S.S.E., 7 miles, commenced snowing with a strong gale from E.N.E., gradually veering to N.E., spoke brig Rideout, and agreed to attempt reaching Cape Harbor, furled topgallant sails, the weather becoming very thick and officers and men much exhausted. Several of them were saffering from frozen feet and hands, rendered it imprudent for them to attempt crossing the bay, and equally su to keep at sea, our sails being injured by severe gales.Had to cut away all the spars to prevent her going ashore.

Bark Fairmont, from Barbadoes, on the 18th, lat. 30 N., long. 75 W., encountered a violent gale from W. S.W., accompanied with a heavy sea, which lasted 20 hours.

Brig Melazzo, from Havana, for Boston, struck on Gull Ledge, Cohasset, near the Glades, at 3 A.M., December 18, in the severe snow storm. Her situation being seen from the shore, the life boat at Cohasset was manned before 8 o'clock, and attempted to go to her, but was capsized and filled with water. About a quarter before 10 a second attempt was made, and by great exertions the whole crew, as well as the captain's wife and another passenger, eleven in all, were landed in safety, but much exhausted, as the sea broke over the vessel most of the time. Mrs. Nichols stood 5 hours in the gangway.

Ship Adirondack, from Liverpool, on the 18th, in a heavy gale, lost two seamen, Jas. Jackson, and A. Haywood, they fell from jibboom while stowing the jib; lost sight of them immediately.

Bark Croton, hence, at Mobile, experienced a heavy gale from the West on the 18th, split sails, &c.

Brig Franklin, from Boston, for N. Orleans, in lat. 33 34, long. 71 18, on the 18th and 19th experienced a heavy gale from the S.E., lost foretop-gallant mast, topgallant and royal yard, and a part of the deck load.

Saturday, December 19., The Journal de la Haye reports a volcanic eruption which took place on the Rhine, opposite Unkel, on the night of the 19th of December. There was a subterranean noise, and then a mountain of fragmeits was upheaved to a height of nearly 200 feet. By this phenomenon a large plain has been devastated, and a road has been elevated one hundred feet.

SHIPWRECK AND Loss of Life.-The ship Eng. land, Andrew Irvine, master, 83 days from London, for this port, in ballast, while attempting to make the barbor on Saturday afternoon last. December 19, during a severe S.W. gale; without having a pilot on board, struck on the foul ground, and afterwards became a total wreck-the captain, couk, one sailor and two boys being unfortunately drowned. From infor. mation gleaned from authentic sources, we learn that the England made the harbor about 4 o'clock that afternoon, and attempted to enter it without a pilot, the captain relying on his mate to conduct the vessel into port, the tide being, low at the time. After passing into Partridge Islands, the pilot schooner Rechab run down towards her, and John Haviland, a branch pilot, attempted to board her in his gig, but the ship keeping away under her topsails (running directly tor the Foul Ground) he was unable to do so; he however hailed her, and told the captain to brace the yards sharp up, and haul the vessel by the wind, in order to keep the channel, and thus escape the im. pending danger; but the advice was disregarded, and she soon after struck, and remained fast on the sunken rocks. Mr. Haviland then made an attempt to reach her in his gig, and succeeded. After beating for some time on the rocks, the flood tide carried her off, when the pilot discovered that she had lost her rudder; he then endeavored to steer her into the harbor by means of the sails, but the wind hauling to the westward, and the anchor parting, she was driven

on the Round Reef, over which she beat, sustained a severe damage in the hull, which caused her to leak very much. The skill and courage of the pilot did not, however, forsake him, and he endeavored to run her ashore on the West side of Courtenay Bay, as the only chance of saving the lives of those on board ; but the vessel making water very fast, and the crew becoming dispirited, they were unable to work. She then drifted to the eastward, striking heavily as she got into the shoal water, and finally began to break up. This was about 12 o'clock at night. The masts were then cut away to prevent her from upsetting, after beating over the sands for some time, during which the sea was making a complete breach over her, she parted in several places, and the captain, who had been injured by the floating pieces of wreck, was washed overboard and drowned. One of the men was also lost at the same time, and the boys perished shortly after. The pilot, with the remainder of the crew, succeeded in getting on the forecastle, which parted from the hull. Their situation became desperate--each surge that broke over them threatened to sweep them off, or dash the fragment of the wreck to which they clung, to pieces. Several began to get benumbed and careless of life, and, taking, as they thought, a final leave of each other, they awaited in silence their expected doom. Soon, however, the forecastle grounded, and the survivors succeeded in reaching the shore, near the point at Little River, almost exhausted with fatigue and the exertions they had made to cling to the wreck, and arrived at the alms-house nearly dead with cold. The bodies of those who were drowned have been recovered. The shores of Courtenay Bay are strewed with pieces of the wreck. The fine steamer Maid of Erin started in the evening to assist in getting the ship off, but the weather being very thick and a tremendous sea running, she was unable to succeed in finding her, and had to return without accomplishing her object. The E. was about 480 tons burthen, and was owned in London.

Monday, December 21. British bark West Indian, of London, was lost near Puerto del Padre, in a gale, on the night of the 21st December.

Wednesday, December 23. The schooner Sarah, from Bangor, on the 23d, in lat. 36 30, long. 98. encountered a severe gale from the N.W., while lying to. Lost deck load of lumber, galley, boat, bulwarks, eight stauncheons, both jibs, stove water casks, decks completely swept of everything

Thursday, December 24. The brig Santioga, (of Plymouth, Mass.,) from N. York, for Brest, was towed into Penzance Roads, with loss of foremast, foretopmast cut away, and with the hull and cargo damaged, having been thrown on her beam ends in a gale, on December 24th, lat. 48, long. 9.

BARK PENTUCKET.-Extract of a letter from Capt. Taylor, dated Glasgow, January 15th, to his owners in Boston:

“I write to inform you of the arrival of the bark Pentucket, at this port, after a long, rough and tedious passage, with the loss of stern moulding, jibboom, head rails, &c. I have had the most boisterous passage I ever experienced, with continued gales of wind. On the 24th December, I experienced the most severe gale I ever met at sea ; the bark was hove on her beam ends, and lay so for six hours, without one particle of sail upon her; and if she had not been a new vessel, we never should have reached here to tell the news.

Brig Hartley, from Philadelphia, to St. Thomas, encountered a succession of gales from S.W. to N.W., on the 24th and 25th, which swept decks, sprung foremast and foreyard, and caused the vessel to leak badly.

Friday, December 25. “ On Christmas day, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, a noise was heard in the environs of Mindethal, in a circumference of at least 18 leagues diameter, resembling, in the first instance, a distant cannonade. After 20 almost vniform discharges, this noise changed to a rumbling, the sounds of which strikingly resembled those of a kettle drum, tuned in F, and ended with sounds like those of distant trumpets. The whole

phenomenon lasted about three minutes, and was tially commenced in several districts; but the favor-
heard in the same manner throughout the entire dis- able weather has put such a fresh spring in the late
trict. Every, anditor imagined that he heard the planted canes, that a delay must take place. The
noise over his head; but nothing was seen explana- prospects of all the crops are good."
tory of the phenomenon. In the village of Schonen-

Friday, January 1, 1847. burg, however, West of Mindethal, several

persons discovered above the houses, a black ball rapidly de

The Season.-A dandelion, in full bloom, was pluck. scending, and a man saw this ball fall into a garden.

ed by the side of a wall in Bloomingdale, on NewThe news of the event was soon spread abroad, and

Year's day. all the inhabitants, abandoning their firesides and fa- Fifty-one years ago New-Year's day was precisely mily festivities, ran to the spot pointed out. They similar to Friday last. So says one of the "oldest infound an opening in the earth, which emitted a sul. habitants."- Jour. Com. phurons vapor. On digging with great zeal, a stone

Ship Camera, from Palermo, from the 1st to the was discovered 2 feet below the surface, in the form

25th, has experienced constant head winds and heavy of an irregular, truncated pyramid, with four narrow

westerly gales, lost main and inizzen topsail yards. lateral surfaces, and a fifth somewhat wider; the base is smooth enough. The summit is prismatic, and the

Burlington, from New-York, off Cape Clear on the corners rounded. It weighs almost eight kilogram

1st experienced heavy weather, lost foretopmast and

received other damage. mes (44 lbs. and upwards.) Its dimensions are 8 in. ches in height, 7 in breadth, and 3 in thickness. This Ship Enmity, from Calcutta for Boston, in a hurristone bears marks of volcanic origin, and resembles cane on the 1st and 2d of January, lost mainmast with grunstein (greenstone.). The fracture is grayish

all sails attached. white, spotted with white, and several crystallized We have been visited with the greatest flood known metallic fragments were remarked on its surface, espe- for many years with the exception of that in June cially some octohedrical crystals of iron, which at- 1843. It commenced raining on Wednesday the 30th tract the magnetised needle."-Augsburg Gaz. Dec., and continued with little intermission until Fri

Schooner Caroline, from Sassafras River, Md., via day evening. January 1st. The river at this place N. York, at Boston. Night of the 25th, had a severe was at its height on Saturday evening about 9 o'clock, N.E. gale, and on 26th, off Cape Cod, had another being within two feet as high as it was in 1843. We from N.W.; struck on Billingsgate Shoals, beat over,

lament to state that Mr. Abell, son of Lewis and came to an anchor inside ; lost foretopsail and top

Abell, of Bazetta. a young man aboul 22 or 23 years gallant sail, &c. All the crew are badly frozen, and of age was drowned on the morning of the 1st inst., the vessel was brought to Boston by the assistance of at Baconsburg, in attempting to remove drift wood at Capt A. Gill, of the Light House, and Capts. Hawes the bridge in that place—his body was found some aud Chipman, of Wellieet.

20 rods below. Extract of a letter from Capt. Doane, of ship Hud

The stage coach, two horses, and the mail from son, from Glasgow, to his owners:

this place to Wellsville, were lost on Saturday morn

ing, jan. 2 in attempting to ford the river at the south
BERMUDA, Dec. 29, 1846. end of the bridge over the Mahoning, and the life of

Mr. Hiram Benham, stage agent, barely saved.
I have just arrived here in a bad state. I left the
Clyde on the 10th November, and in 24 days was in

The coach and mail have not yet been discovered or

heard of. There was fortunately but one passenger, long. 58 W., and lat 41. I took a sudden gale from the West, which drove me to the Gulf, where I re

Mr. George Johnson, of Wheeling, Va., in the stage

he saved himself by leaping from the stage upon a mained 2 days and then run to the South of it to lat. 36, when I had strong gales from N.W. to W.S.W. for

high stump—the driver swam nud climbed a tree,

where he remained until taken off in a skiff.- War. 20 days, and then was in long. 66. On the 25th Dec.

ren Ohio Dem. Jan. 4. took a very heavy gale from s.W. I had now become short handed by losing one man and 2 sick ;

We alluded in our paper of Saturday to the great the gale of the 25th caused the ship to leak bad, the quautity of rain which had fallen during the two prepumps were kept going for 24 hours; about this time cading days. The waters have never been known to the men began to fail - then in lat. 34, long. 66, I be so high before. Some of the principal streets of thought it best to make for Charleston, but the wind the town were changed into canals of rapidly running soon hauled round to the West and blew hard, and water; and damage has been done by the filling of the passengers had given out at the pumps, I con

cellars, &c. But the most disastrous effects have occluded to bear up for this port.

curred in West Indianapolis. For the width of a Packet ship Switzerland, from London, has had a mile the whole is inudated, and the water surges over Buccession of Westerly gales, generally from W.S.W.; the National road in a raging torrent. The high grade on Christmas night, the ship lay nearly on her beam

of the road has been washed away in some places, ends for several hours, under close reefed topsail and and several houses have been lifted from their founforetopsail, in a very heavy N.W. gale.

dations and floated across the road down stream. The Packet ship St. Nicholas, from Havre, on the 25th,

east bank of the river, in the vicinity of the grave at night, experienced a hurricane from N.W., com

yards, has been washed away to the extent of fifty menced with a whirlwind, succeeded in getting the

feet or more, and is still wearing away rapidly, and ship before the wind, sustained but little damage.

the water is within a few feet of the fence of the

lower grave yard. Saturday, December 26.

The canal is broken in several places. The AqueBark Pomona, from Newcastle, on the 26th, lat. 42,

duct over Fall creek is either washed away or very long. 59, experienced a severe hurricane from W.8.

much damaged, reports being contradictory; The W. to N.N.W.

culverts at Pague's run is entirely gone and the run

has made a clear breach through the canal at that place. Sunday, December 27.

Immense quantities of the canal banks are washing Ship Charlemagne, from Messina, on the 26th and away at other Points. 27th, lat. 42, long. 74, experienced gales from S.E. We have heard of families some miles distant from to N.W.; bove the ship on her beam ends and lay so town, who had retreated to the roofs of their houses, for four hours, and righted with considerable water in where they had to remain for many hours for the want her hold ; same time lost a whole suit of sails, sprung of the means of rescue. Some are reported to have the foremast and foretopmast.

been drowned; but we are not in possession of well Tuesday, December 29.

authenticated facts on this point. A new two and a half story brick house, belonging

Our worthy citizen, Nicholas McCarthy, will be a to Mr. Timberman, was blown down during a gale at

great loser, as he had many thousand bushels of corn

in the river bottom; but he will not lose his all as St. Louis, on the 29th, breaking the leg and mashing many others will. the jaws of one of three workmen engaged in it at All the inhabitants of West Indianapolis aud its vithe time.

cinity, with a single exception. were obliged to evacuA TROPICAL DECEMBER.—The Barbadoes Mercury ate their houses, and in most instances before they says:

had time to remove their effects. A large amount of * December has been truly a glorious month ; not these will be destroyed or greatly injured ; and the a day has elapsed without fine rains, and as a natural sufferers are of that condition least able to repair the consequence, the whole surface of the Island is cloth- loss. From the best information we have been able ed with the richest verdure. Sugar making has par- to obtain, we suppose that not less than twelve inches

of water on a level, fell during the space of forty-eight hours.- Indianapolis Sentinel.

Monday, January 4. The weather has been comparatively moderate for several days. A heavy rain storm from the south east, last night, has carried off nearly all the snow and ice, and the therinometer this morning was as high as fifty degrees. with a bright and warm sun and clear sky.--Bost. Jour. Jan. 5.

Wednesday, January 6. The peach trees are in bloom at Wilmington, N.C., and all the evidences of spring are displayed in that neighborhood.—Jour. Com. Jan. 6.

The Cincinnati Gazette of Saturday, Jan. 9, says: “Up to Wednesday night the 6th inst., for several weeks the weather has generally been soft, bland and as warm as May. On that day, a friend brought us a branch of the common honeysuckle, six inches long and in full leaf; also leaves of the lilac and rose, fully expanded, all of which had grown out of doors. On Thursday morning the weather had become quite cold and blustering, with a slight fall of snow. Yesterday morning the cold was intense, the thermometer standing at two degrees below zero at day. light. This will ensure us a good crop of ice for the next summer's use, but we fear the great change will be fatal to the peaches."

Thursday, January 7. We learn from the Trenton (N. J.) News, that during the heavy gale of Thursday afternoon, Jan. 7, the long car house at the depot, used to shelter the cars at night, was prostrated from end to end. It was a very long building, probably between one and two hundred feet. Fortunately the locomative and cars were all in use, and were not crushed beneath the falling timbers.

The wind blew a fearful gale ou the sound last night.

The Champion, from N. York had a rough trip of it. She left in the afternoon, but did not reach this city until this morning.

The schr. Splendid of James Port, L.I. while lying at anchor near Riker's Island, was run into by the Champion, and sunk immediately; the crew having barely time to escape with their personal effects in their own boat and that of the steamer, which was promptly sent to their assistance. The vessel bad on board 2700 bushels of oysters, belonging to Harry and Levy Rome, of Fair Haven. The Captain is also a part owner of the cargo and vessel. No insurance.New Haven Palladium Jan. 8, 1847.

Perth Amboy, Jan. 8. 1847. This place was visited yesterday by a severe tornado. A column, in appearance like smoke, and about 20 feet in height and six broad, crossed our bay from the south, upsetting small craft of every description. It struck a large shed and carried it about 300 feet through the side of a frame building, and even through two substantial partitions. The direction of the tornado was then changed as if by magic, to the east, and passed to Staten Island. The coasting Schr. Delight, heavily ballasted for a southern trip, and lying at anchor, was capsized and sunk immediately; and such was its force that chimneys were blown off and even men were prostrated.

Ship Lapland, Simpson, reports that on Thursday Jan. 7th, '47, at midnight, was between Race Point and Cohasset, when he took a severe N.W. gale, and was driven off

. On the night of the 10th stood into the bay, with a N.N.E. wind; at 12 o'clock a thin snow storm, sounded in 35 fathoms of water-hauled to the eastward until 6 P.M. yesterday, when it cleared up a little, put our course W.N.W.; at 10 P.M., sounded in 22 fathoms of water, the weather thick and appearing like an easterly storm. Judging ourselves too far in the bay to haul off, we ran for Boston light; at 12 P.M., very thick, made Cohasset rocks close under our lee, hauled up N.W. N. under double reefed topsails, blowing fresh thinking to make the light, when we made breakers under our our lee; finding it impossible to clear them, rounded to and let go both anchors ; the vessel soon commenced striking, when we cut away all her masts, as the only means of saving the ship. From the time we made Cohasset, 12 M. until we anchored, kept firing muskets for a pilot, which the residents of Hull say were heard ihere. From 11 o'clock until two this morning, the

ship was continually striking, burnt torches, and fired muskets for assistance from the shore, but received none until about au hour before the R. B. Forbes arrived, when the life hoat from Hull boarded the ship. The masts with every thing attached are ashore on Long Beach, vessel leuks sufficiently to keep one pump at work. The L. was towed up by the R. B. Forbes.

The steam ship Giraffe, under the command of Capt. A. H. Eldridge, was lost near Brazos Santiago on the 7th of January. Four of the hands perished.

Schr. Tryall in the N.W. gale night of the 7th, off Cape May, carried away fore gati.

Schr. Emeline in the gale of the 7th, off Sandy Hook, had bulwarks stove on both sides.

Schr. Andes, when off Stratford, on the evening of the 7th, was struck by a squall from the westward, and shipped a heavy sea which washed 15 or 20 bales of cotton from the deck.

Schr. Harriet Elizabeth, from Alexandria for NewYork, got ashore on Absecomb bar, 7th, in the S.E. blow.

We learn from Capt. Thomas, of the schr. General Washington, that the counties of Mathews and Gloucestor, were visited on Thursday Jan. 7, by a most violent tornado of wind. The precise extent of the injury inflicted had not been ascertained, although sufficient was known to warrant the statement, that it had been a most destructive tornado to property, and we regret to add, human life also. One house was entirely destroyed in Matthews, several others unroofed, and fences and trees in every direction blown down. In the East River, some damage was done to the shipping and along the whole line of the river numberless out houses were thrown down. But the most melancholy portion of the story remains to be told. Mr. John Dangerfield, the collector of the customs for the county of Matthews, being on the road in a single gig, on his way home, encountered the tornado, his horse took fright, and sad to relate, Mr. D. was instantly killed. The tornado lasted about thirty minutes.- Norfolk Beacon.

Friday, January 8. Earthquake at Grafton Harbor, Upper Canada. See ante. p. 682.

The weather at Metamoras on the 8th, was so cold as to make ice.

The brig Ada Eliz, from Long Island, Bahamas, for Philadelphia, on the 8th encountered a heavy gale in lat. 31 20 N., long 75 45 W., which broke the rudder ; the round house was immediately detatched from the rudder lead and secured by ropes. At 4 A.M. the following morning, the rudder, after thumping heavily under the vessel's bottom, broke from the stern ; 6 A.M. constructed a temporary rudder; 9ih, weather moderating, made sail and stood for Charleston ; same date, at midnight, encountered a violent gale from N. W. accompanied with a heavy sea, which broke the temporary rudder from the stern post-again the rudder was repaired and shipped. On the 11th while lying too in a heavy, gale, parted the rudder guys which were repaired with all possible despatch. On sounding the pump (only one being in order) it was discovered that the brig was making water, which increased to such an extent that on the 13th we were compelled to throw overboard 500 bushels of salt, 50 bags of oatineal, anchor and chain: 15th, leak increasing, threw overboard 1500 bushels of salt. At 4 P. M., same date, lat. 31 47, long. 76 40, the bark Isnadore from New Orleans bound to Boston, hove in sight, and all hope of carrying the brig into port appearing vain ,we abandoned her.

The weather for the last few days has been of the most changeful and capricious character. On the 8th, from almost summer heat, it suddenly became bitter cold, the thermometer ranging below the freezing point. Forty eight hours afterwards, the mercury rose from 32 to 65, and in less than one day fell again to 30.-N. 0. Bee, Jan. 12.

Saturday, January 9. Since our last, winter has come upon us in earnest. The weather continued very cold, and on Saturday evening, the sky became overcast with clouds, which between eleven and twelve o'clock yesterday began to give us an old fashioned fall of snow. The suow

Continued up to the time of our going to press, with the wind from north east.--Balt. Sun, Jan. 11.

The Cousbrook of Belfast from Donaghadee, for Charleston, grounded Jan. 7, at Burial Island in a snow storm, but got off and proceeded.

Sunday, January 10. Philadelphia, January 11.--The snow which commenced falling about noon yesterday has kept at it steadily, and we have a foot or so of snow.

Monday, January 11. At Memphis, Ten., on the 11th, the snow was about a foot deep. Cold weather and fine sleighing

Since our last paper, in which we briefly noticed the heavy gale of Monday Jan. 11, we learn that a great amount of damage has been done in this vicinity. We hear that many buildings, barns, sheds, &c. have been unroofed or blown down, and any amount of fences capsized and demolished. The forests have also suffered. We learn that the sugar orchard of Mr. John Guest was entirely prostrated.–Fredonia Censor.

Fr. Ship Valient, from New-Orleans, for Nantz, went ashore on the Vignette Rocks, near St. Nazaire, on the night of the 11th Jan.

Brig E. G. Pierce, of Gardiner, had mainmast and foretopınast carried away on the 11th, in a squall off the high lands.

Tuesday, January 12. Ship Eliza Warwick, from New York, at Liverpool, reports at 8 P.M. on the 12th Jan., was pooped by a sea while scudding, in lat. 44 N., long. 42 30 W., which istantly killed Capt. Loring and the two men at the wheel, carried away round house, wheel, binnacle, bulwarks, carved work from stern, and stove in the after part of the house, filling house and cabin with water. Hove too, and laid four days with a tar. paulin in mizzen rigging, wind blowing a hurricane from N.W., with a frighful sea. Shipped several heavy seas ; carried away mainsail and staunchions, and lost nearly a whole suit of sails, and maintopgallant mast. Experienced nothing but continual hard gales from N.W. to S.W. from this longitude to Tuskar.

Wednesday, January 13. On the 13th of January, they were carrying cotton into Memphis on sleighs-four bales at a load. This is noticed as very unusual.

of January last, and lost. This is melancholy news, not only to his wife and family, with whom we deeply and sincerely sympathise, but also to the whole American commercial nautical community. There pever was, perhaps, a man more endeared to all who knew him, than Captain Rathbone. To know him was to love him—and that he should have perished in tho way he did, far from his family, his friends, and his kindred is indeed heart rending. But“ in the midst of life we are in death," and may we may all, when summoned to “ that bourne from whence no traveller returns," be as pure and unspotted as was he. All that was mortal of him, is gone from us forever—but his name—the recollection of his virtuous and honorable life-our respect for him when livingwill be cherished by all who knew him.

We would willingly stop here, but duty demands that we record still further accounts of the effects of theraging element in that sad month. The same gale that deprived us of Capt. Rathbone, took away from us Capt. Loring of the ship Eliza Warwick, which left our shores on the 1st of January last. This officer, with three or four of his men, was killed on board of his vessel by injuries he sustained in consequence of his vessel being struck by a tremendous sea, which well nigh swamped her.

Altogether the month of January has been a sad and wonderful month.-N. Y. Herald.

Thursday, January 14. LIGHTNING.—The barn of Capt. Ben. Low, at Do ver Lower Village, was struck by lightning on Thurs day of last week (probably 14th). The ridge polo was torn off, and three horned cattle and a horse wero killed.--N. Y. Herald of Sat. Jan. 23.

Earthquake at Rice Lake, Upper Canada.

Ship Independence, in lat. 49 N., long. 21 3 W., at 1 P.M. twice struck by lightning, 5 persons knocked down, and two disabled. Ashes fell from the atmos. phere on the Faroe Islands, 360 miles 8. E. of the volcanoes of Iceland.

Friday, January 15. Lightning at Saltville, Va.

Saturday, January 16. Packet ship St. James, at Portsmouth from New. York, reports in a gale on the 16th, was struck by a sea which filled the cahin, washed 4 men overboard, swept decks, lost boats, &c., and left her with seven feet of water in the hold.

Ship Leland, which arrived at Liverpool, Jan. 28, from Charleston, while scudding in a hurricane on the 16th, was boarded over the stern by a tremendous sea, which washed overboard Ira Baxter, Jr., aged 17, son of the inaster. A seaman name unknown, who was at the wheel with young Baxter, had one of the spokes driven through his side, and survived the injury but ten hours, in great agony. The first officer had his thigh broken, and the master had his ankle sprained. The wheel was broken in three places, the sky lights stove in, the cabin filled with water, &c.

Schr. Tellus on the 16th, during a severe N.W. gale, split mainsail and lost flying jib.

Br. brig Lewis, from St. John's for Glasgow, on the 16th, in a gale of wind, lost mainmast and every thing from of the deck.

Troy, Jan. 17,6 P.M. About 10 o'clock on Saturday evening, a sudden and tremendous gale passed through the lower portion of Troy, blowing down the west wall of the Clinton Foundry, situated a few rods below the Troy railroad depot, on the Troy and Greenbush Railroad, sweeping away some ten or fifteen feet of the roof of the building on the west side, killing three of the workmen engaged in the establishment at the time, and badly injuring several others.

At the time the walls blew down, there were in all eighteen moulders at work upon the different floors of the building adjoining the west wall. The crash occurred almost instantaneously; the wind spending itself with great suddeuness, and permitting the workmen no opportunity to escape from the falling bricks and timbers.

It is almost miraculous that a larger number were not killed, as all were much exposed to danger. The west wall of the building was ninety-six feet in length, and some fifty feet directly in the centre were blown

pool, on the 13th, in a gale, lost overboard the captain, first and second mate, five seamen and a boy.

We have been favored with the following account of the disaster to the packet ship Columbia, and the death of Capt. Rathbone. It was written by a passenger, and addressed to Lloyd's agents :

Šir-I am sorry to inform you that on Wednesday, the 13th inst., at a quarter to 5 A.M., we were struck by a sea on the starboard quarter, when running before the wind, which carried off the wheel house, with Captain Rathbone, first mate, second mate, five seamen and one boy; since that time we have had a continual succession of very heavy gales, ship pretty tight, foretopmast and main royalcutaway. The follow. ing sails were carried away : jib, forestaysail, foresail, foretopsail, topgallant and royal, maintopsail

, spanker and mizzen royal; threw the deckload overboard ; passengers all well. We got an officer from on board the Lady Falkland, of Glasgow, when we expected to get put to rights again, and proceed to Liverpool.


Cabin Passenger. By the accounts received by the steamship Cambria, we have the sad and melancholy intelligence that some thirty-seven American vessels were more or less injured; and that all the London packets that sailed during the month of January, were obliged to put back to port.

But this is not all. We would be glad if we could stop here. It is our melancholy duty to say, for the information of the relatives and friends of the deceased, that the amiable and gentlemanly Captain Rathbone, so long connected with our packet marine, and so enthusiastically admired for his generous and noble character, was, together with his two mates and five of his crew, washed overboard from the packet ship Columbia, of which vessel he was master, on the 13th

down. John Coffield, aged about 22 years, was taken out of the ruins dead, and badly mangled, soon after the accident occurred. He had been married but two or three months, and his young wife is nearly distracted in consequence of his sudden and untimely death. Michael Madigan, a boy aged 19 years, was horribly cut and mangled. He survived until this morning when he died. John Allen, formerly a resident of West Troy, aged about 25 years, was found in the ruins this morning.

The following were severely wounded; John Rainey, Johv Kennedy, David Cooper, Jas. Ryan, Thos. Gillan, Michael Louth and John Freer. Strong hopes are entertained for the recovery of the persons injured. Not more than one of them (Kennedy) is considered in a dangerous state. It is fortunate that the sad cccurrence happened on Saturday evening, when nearly all the workmen were away, otherwise the disaster would have been attended with a much larger loss of life.

The force of the gale must have been tremendous. The wall, which was blown down, was one foot in thickness, and well supported by posts. The gale swept in its course some 10 or 15 feet off the roof from the railroad depot, a short distance above, carrying it over the railroad track several rods.

Sunday, January 17. The St. Lawrence river, at Ogdensburgh, is frozen over strong enough to allow teams to cross. The thermometer on Sunday night (17th) in that village marked 8 degress below zero.

WEATHER.-Sunday the 17th, was the coldest day thus far this winter. The thermometer at noon was at 18 degrees above zero, and much colder in the morning and evening. The snow has disappeared, and the river still remains open, an unusual circumstance for midwinter.-Hartford Times.

Wednesday, January 20. The Belfast (Me.) Journal states that a slight shock of an earthquake was felt in and about Lincoln ville aud Camden, a few days since.-Jour. Com. Jan. 20.

John Brooks, arrived from Savannah at Liverpool, with loss of bulwarks, stanchions, boats, cook house, &c., in a gale 20th Jan.

Ship Floridian. from Apalachicola, on the 20th, 21st and 22d, experienced a very severe gale from N.N. E.

Thursday, January 21. Srow in Wayne County. There is a foot of snow on the Ridge Road in Wayne County. It fell on Thursday the 21st.-Roch. Am.

The H. H. Boody, from New-York arrived at Liverpool to day, with mizzen mast cut away, and part of cargo thrown overboard, during a gale 21st of Jan. in lat. 42, long. 43.

Ship Saranak, from Liverpool, on the 21st, experienced a violent snow storm, which continued for 16 hours.

Friday, January 22. The steamer Cincinnalti was lost on the 22d of January, near Tampico.

Packet ship Burgundy, from Havre, on the night of the 22d, experienced a severe hurricane ; lost the main yard and main topgallantmast and sails.

Saturday, January 23. The Hottinguer, from Liverpool for New-York, put into the cove of Cork, with loss of spars, sails, &c., in a hurricane on the 23d.

Ship Paris, from New Orleans for Bordeaux, arrived off the mouth of the Girande on the evening of the 23d, and got within seven miles of the light without being able to obtain a pilot. At midnight it blew a gale from S.W. which continued until the 25th, when the vessel drifted towards the Island of Cleron, Capt. Lewis attempted to get into Basque Roads and succeeded. But after he was moored with two anchors ahead, at 10 P.M., it caine on to blow a perfect hur: ricane, and she dragged her anchors. Her masts were cut away. but she stili continued to drag, went on shore, and became a complete wreck. The mate, with several men, attempted to reach the shore in a boat, which quickly filled alter leaving the vessel, and they narrowly escaped by swimming Capt. L. and the rest of the crew, also got safely on shore.

Brig Samuel, Capt. Richardson reports that on the

23d he encountered a tremendous N.W. gale, during which shifted ballast, was knocked down, lost water casks, and received some damage, the sea making a complete breach over her; was blown to the southward across the Gulf Stream, the sails and rigging badly chafed and worn, and decks full of water. Find. ing it impossible to get on the coast, bore away for the West Indies, the wind blowing heavy from N.W. for ten days. Lightning storm at Mobile, Ala.

Sunday, January 24. Ship Manchester, of New-York, lying in the port of Galway, I., during a sudden squall on the 24th of January, was upset; she remained on her beam ends.

Bark Thetis, from Belfast, I., on the 24th experienced a tremendous gale of wind from N.W.; lost the main topsail and quarter boat.

Brig Emma Prescott, of New York, lying in the Roadsted, Galway, during the gale of the 24th, was driven from her moorings high up on the point of Renmore, and lost both masts.

The Caithneshire, of and from Belfast for New-Or. leans, on the 24th of January, lat. 51 15, long. 18 40 was thrown on her beam ends, and had ballast shifted, stanchions carried away, lost topmast, sails, &c.

An immense iceberg lately floated into the harbor of Eastport, Me., dashing to pieces several vessels lying at the wbarves; it is supposed to have been blown from the Arctic sea in the late gales.-N. Y. Herald, Jan. 25.

Extract of a letter from T. M. Persse, Esq., the American Consul at Galway, Ireland.

“On the same day, after I wrote you (31st Jan.) I received a note from the mate of the bark Sarah E. Snow, mentioning the total loss of that vessel and cargo and all on board, except himself. I mentioned to you in my last, the heavy gale we had on the 24th, and it is in that gale she was dismasted ; she was lying too, when she shipped a sea which put her on her beann ends, and when the masts went over she righted again : on the 28th, the vessel went ashore at Belmulet, the people saw there was some person on board, and had just time to get the poor fellow off. I made a collection for the mate of £20. All the American Captains in port acted very liberally. The John Balch was near meeting the same fate, but came safe with the exception of the loss of some of her spars."

Monday, January 25. Lightning storm at Louisville, Ky., and at Saltville, Va.

Tuesday, January 26. Ship Swatara. from New-Orleans, at Liverpool, was obliged to cut away her masts to prevent her going ashore on the 26th Jan.

Wednesday, January 27. Br. schr. John Edwards went ashore at White Cove near Digby, in a storm on the 27th, and went to pieces; one man drowned and the master badly frozen.

The weather yesterday was the most violent that we have known during the past year. It rained almost incessantly the whole day, and towards evening the storm was accompanied with thunder and vivid lightning. In many instances the first floors of warehouses and stores were flooded, and for some hours the streets were rendered impassable for foot passengers. The Mississippi was nearly level with the Levee, and the pavements knee-deep with water. What, with the thunder, wind, rain and lightning, it was the fiercest tempest that we encountered for some time past. At noon it was so dark that we had to light the gas in our office ; commercial business on the Levee was suspended, masters only thinking of securing their vessels, and merchants of protecting the cargoes lying on the wharves. We fear that the plantations on the river, and in the interior of the country, over which the hurricane passed, have met with serious injury, by the great quantity of rain which has lately fallen and the violence of the wind.

During the gule, the British ships Independence, New-York Packet, Queen Pomare, Charlotte, Harrison, Henry Gardner, French ship Andelle, and American bark Rothschild, parted their moorings, carrying away bowsprits, rails and figure heads, and getting otherwise seriously injured. In fact, most of the vessels lying in the Third Municipality were more or less in

jured. Four flat boats containing about 8500 bbls. of coal, and one flat boat loaded with wood, were sunk, and their cargoes lost. The wharves in front of Port Market have been seriously damaged; and it will take weeks if not months to repair thein. The six vessels above mentioned are in a very precarious situation.

At about 11 o'clock yesterday morning, the house belonging to M. Pluche, now in progress of construction, in Esplanade, between Peauche and Villere streets, was blown down. Several hands were at work at the time on the walls of the house, but none of them were injured.

While the bark Rothschild was loose, one of the seamen attached to her fell overboard. A stevedore by the name of Jack Jones jumped overboard and succeeded in saving him, but the noble fellow just as he was in the act of getting on shore, fell overboard bimself, and although there were many skiffs near by, after having risen once to the surface, he disappeared and was drowned.

In the second and first Municipalities, the shipping met with no serious accident. One vessel in the second got loose and floated down the river a short distance but was soon made fast again. The danger apprehended may be imagined, when stevedores and sailors were making two dollars per hour for securing and strengthening the moorings of ships.—N. 0. Delta, Jan. 28.

Thursday, January 28. Brig Inez, from New York, bound to Limerick, on the 28th, New-York bearing N.W. about 460 miles distant, encountered a violent gale from the N.W. which continued until the 29th, when the wind shifted to the south east and blew with increased violence ; 30th, as the only means of our preservation, started nearly all our water, threw overboard from off deck every thing moveable, and lightened the vessel of about 800 bushels of corn. . In this condition, unfit to proceed on the voyage, with the cargo shifting with every change of wind, bore up for the nearest port in the United States. Was off Bermuda on the 3d of Feb. and on the 4th, lat. 38 19 N., long. 71 46, encountered another heavy storm from $. to N.W., which continued with little or no intermission until the 9th, at which time we took a pil

Sligo, Jan. 29.-Brig Captain John, from New York arrived here yesterday ; she experienced very heavy weather during the last ten days; had the wind flying from all points of the compass and lost bulwarks, main yard and jibboom sprung, boats stove in, lashings carried away, ring bolts started, caboose cook's galley carried away, cabin doors stove in, water ways started, and in fact the ship altogether strained from seas breaking aboard of her.

Br. Bark Susan, from Cork to Norfolk, experienced rough weather on the passage, Jan. 28, long. 17 20, having encountered a severe gale from W.8.W. carried away bowsprit, foretopmast, topgallant masts and sails, bulwarks &c.; one boat stove, lost another, and one of the crew washed overboard and drowned.

Bark Cynthia. from Pernambuco, on the 28th, lat. 33 long. 72 8, experienced a severe gale from W. by N. to N.W., which caused the vessel to leak 700 strokes per hour. In lat. 38, long. 72, experienced another gale from W.S.W. to w. by N., carried away bulwarks, head staunchions and received other damage.

Friday, January 29. Br. ship Sir Robert Peel, of and for St. John, N.B., from Savannah, went ashore at Cutler, Me., uear Little River, Jan. 29th, and bilged. On the next day she swung off, and sunk in five fathoms, and will be a total loss ; the crew were saved.

Brig Clinton, from New-York for Savannah, on the 29th, off Cape Hatteras, experienced a severo gale from S.E. which suddenly changed to N.W. and drove us across the Gulf Stream to long. 73 W.

Bark Edward Bulkley, from New-York for Charleston, on the 29th and 30th, experienced severe gales from S.S.E. to W.N.W., split foresail and stove bulwarks.

Brig Grandee, at Newburyport from Wilmington, N. C., experienced a heavy gale of wind on the night of the 29th, lost part of deck lood, split plank shear, &c.

The Antigonish Chronicle says, a shock of an earth. quake was experienced in that county about half-past 9 P.M.

Saturday, January 30. Bark Dana, sailed from New-York for Havre, on the 29th. On the 30th, 31st and Feb. 1st, in lat. 39, long. 69, experienced a heavy gale from S.S.E to W. N.W., was hove on her beam ends, shifted cargo, and lay in that situation for some time, and in order to right her was obliged to throw over part of the cargo.

Schr. Vaada, at Providence from Mobile, reports on the 30th, 10 miles S. of Cape Hatteras, took a severe gale from S.E, which lasted until Feb. 3d, hauling to the N.W. with a bad sea; split sails, stove bulwarks and boat, &c.

Bark Gov. Briggs, from New-Orleans, on the 30th, off Cape Hatteras, experienced a heavy gale from N. W. and on same night shipped a succession of heavy seas, which shifted deck load, stove bulwarks, started main sail, &c.

Sch. Congress, of Providence from Mantanzas, on the 30th, 30 miles S.E. of Montauk Point, took a severe gale from S.E. which hauled 10 N.W.; shipped a heavy sea which stove 50 hhds. of molasses on deck.

Schr. W. W. Wyer, from Curacoa, on the 30th, lat. 35, long. 73 30, experienced a severe gale from the westward with a bad sea, carried away foresail and galley, stove bulwarks, boat, started head cutwater and received other damage in sails and rigging.

Schr. Euphemia, from Maracaibo, on the 30th, lat. 34 43, long. 73 46, experienced a very severe gale from N.W. stove boat, fore scuttle hatch, chain box, &c. Feb. 3d, experienced another heavy gale from 8.E. which lasted 12 hours.

Sunday, January 31.
At Galena, week before last, the mercury stood at
30 degrees below zero. At Lancaster, on the cold
Sunday," it was 29 below, and at Potosi, 32 below.
-N. Y. Herald, Feb. 18.

Tuesday, February 2.
Earthquake at Deerfield, New-Hampshire.

Wednesday, February 3.
Thunder and lightuing in the morning at Houston
Texas. Thunder and lightning, at 9 A.M. at Union
Mills, Carrrol county, Md., accompanied by a hurri-
cane, Thunder and lightning storm on Long Island.
House struck by lightning at Gravesend. Šnow at
Syracuse and Saltville and various other places. Rain
on Brooklyn Heights, Maryland, Texas, &c.

Brig Lycoming, from Mantanzas, while lying too in a heavy S.E. gale ou the 3d, shipped a sea which started the deck load, broke the monkey rail fore and aft, split the main rail and suffered much in sails and rigging, and received other damage.

Wilmington, N. C. Feb. 3.-A severe gale, with rain, commenced here this morning about day light. The gale relaxed about one o'clock and has since abated.

Br. sch. Joseph Howe, from Jamaica, lost anchors and chains in the gale of the 3d.

Sch. Col. McRee from Wilmington, N.C. bound to Philadelphia, lost stern, bulwarks, deck load, foremast head, jibboom, foretopmast

, fore gaff, water casks, best bower anchor and chains, mainmast started and leaking badly, having at one period 4 feet water in the hold, in the gale of the 3d, off Cape Hatteras.

Sch. Star, from Atsakapas.for Baltimore, lost anchors and chains, split sails, stove bulwarks, started rudder braces, carried away head stays and started upper works in the gale of the 3d, 15 miles S.E. of Cape Henry.

Brig Caspian, from Cardenas, on the 3d, lat. 33, 50, long. 76 15, experienced a severe gale from S., was boarded by a sea which filled our bulwarks, the water running in the cabin doors ; lost 52 hhds. molasses, and the spencer, split the mainsail and received other damage.

Sch. Eliza Ann, from Baltimore for Savannah, on the 3d and 4th. experienced severe gales from S. to N.W., lost jibboom, sprung bowsprit, split sails and received considerable damage.

Brig N. G. Bourne, from St. Marks, on the 3d and 4th, experienced heavy goles from S.E. to N.W., split sails and strained the vessel so as to make her leak badly.

Sch. Chief Sachem, from Eastport for Baltimore, in the gale of the 3d and 4th, was blown to the southern edge of the Gulf Stream; lost deck load, stove bul

warks, and monkey rail, carried away jibboom and received other damage.

Our city and vicinity was yesterday, Feb. 3d, visited by an unusually high wind, from the S.E., accompanied by rain, which we hear has done considerable damage in various parts of the city, blowing down fences, &c.

A two story and attic house belonging to Mr. John Carson, was unroofed—both gable ends being blown down, one of which, together with the roof, fell upon the unfinished building belonging to Mr. David Witson, doing considerable damage to the brick work and joists; fortunately the workmen were absent from the building, or a serious accident might have occur. red. The gable end of the adjoining house on Republican Street was blown down.

The roof of Emory Chapel, on Pennsylvania avenue was blown off for about 20 feet from the southwestern end, and the shingles carried about 50 yards on the opposite side of the street.

In various parts of the city much damage has been done, in a small way, by the breaking of window glass, &c.

The storm has been destructive to a more than ordinary degree in the harbor. The tide rose some feet above its usual height, but not so high by three or four feet as it has been within a few months past, but the wind was higher. All along the wharves, damage was done to vessels by rubbing and chafing, and the wharves suffered considerably. Some vessels dragged their anchors, and were brought up in safety with difficulty. A schr. was sunk at the Canton Wharf, but no lives were lost. The tide came over some of the wharves and came into the streets, but no damage was caused by the encroachment.

Information from the bay states that there was a most boisterous time, but we have heard of no losses. -Baltimore Sun.

A snow storm of unusual violence commenced about seven o'clock Wednesday evening, Feb. 3. The wind blew a hurricane during the night, and by morning the falling of snow was drifted into huge heaps, rendering locomotion almost impossible. The storm abated about noon. The quantity of snow fallen is not great, but it is so badly drifted in many places.

The mails due at 3 o'clock on Thursday morning did not arrive, the cars having been stopped by the snow at Pittsford. A portion of them were brought up in a sleigh about half past six in the evening.

We have heard of no injury by the storm beyond a few chimneys blown down, and the prostration of fences.

The Telegraph wires are broken in every direction, and will not probably be in working order again for several days.-Roch. Dem. Feb. 5.

The storm of Wednesday last seems to have extendedfover a large district of country, and to have assumed a different character at different points of the compass.

West and north of Albany, a heavy fall of snow accompanied the drifting wind. At Buffalo, Rochester, Utica, through Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Essex, Lewis, and other northern counties the fall of snow varied from 10 to 24 inches. The drifts were such as to impede travel, blocking up the Highways and Railways for the first time, seriously, the present winter. At this point, and south and east of us, the rain fell in torrents; melting the snow and ice, as it fell, and rushing with great impetuosity over the frozen earth into the neighboring streams, swelling them into torrents, and threatening an immediate breaking up of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivera.-Alb. Eve. Jour.

Thursday, February 4. Osceola, which arrived at Glasgow, from Savannah, 16th February, had cut water started, and lost head rails in a gale on the 4th of Feb.

Ship Orpheus, at New-York, from Montevideo and Rio Janeiro, was 17 days north of 32 and west of 72, from the 4th to the 7th of Feb. experienced very heavy weather, wind N. and W., accompanied by an exceedingly heavy sea, which caused the ship to labor dreadfully, and increased her leak to 450 strokes


hour. Her foremast is much crippled.

Thursday, February 11. Schr. Elizabeth, from Pensacola for New-Orleans, was lost on reef off North Chandeleur Islands, on the 10th, and is a complete wreck; cargo lost, passengers and crew saved.

Died-At El Mariel, Island of Cuba, on the 28th of Feb. Mrs. Julia Ann Haven, wife of Charles H. Haven, Esq., of New York, and only daughter of Dan. iel Thatcher, Esq., of Bridgeport, Conn., aged 20 years and 4 days.

The above announcement will have been anticipated by many in St. Loius, who were aware of the severe illness of Mrs. Haven previous to her departure for Cuba. During the passage from New Orleans to Cuba the ship was struck by lightning and the foretopsail mast shattered. Three days afterward she was wrecked, in sight of land, at 3 o'clock A.M. The passen. gers and crew expected every moment that she would go to pieces. At daylight three of the passengers (one of whom was the subject of the above notice) were conveyed through the breakers to the shore, and there endured much suffering from exposure in making vain efforts to find habitations. Thence, on the succeed. ing day, they were taken off by a boat to a schooner which had come to the relief the ship. While awaiting the departure of the latter for Havana, in the middle of the night, the cry of fire was heard, and all who were able directed their attention to the ship, a few miles distant. It was environed in flames, and, with its whole cargo, consumed.

The lightning, which it was supposed had spent its fury on the mast, had gone into the hold, and when the ship began to open the air fanned the slumbering elements, so that the cotton and whole cargo were soon one sheet of fame, leaving but a vestige of the ship to mark the spot where she had struck. The ex. citement attendant upon the varied efforts to escape from the wreck, in the first place, and in pursuing the journey to Havana in a small and crowded schooner, was too much for the ladies who were passengers, and they had to remain at the small sea port of El Mariel, about 30 miles from Havana, with a view, if possible, to gain strength to proceed. It was the willof Providence that Mrs. Haven should be the first taken from the midst of her fellow-sufferers. After linger. ing only two weeks, she expired in the arms of her husband, without a murmur or a struggle-none of those who were around her knowing at what moment her soul took its flight to the arms of her Creator, in whom she believed and on whom she depended.

[Note.-The ship above named was the Christopher Colombe, which sailed from New Orleans February 7th. and was lost on the 11th of the same month. She had a large number of invalids on board.--Alb. Evening Journal of April 7.

Friday, February 12. There was a heavy fall of snow at Pittsburgh on the 12th.

Sunday, January 14. Earthquake at Meredith, N. H.

Tuesday, February 16. Ship Sea, from Liverpool for New-York, experienced very violent gales from W.N.W. and N. W. from the 16th of February to the 15th of March.

Thursday, February 18. Bark Z. D., from Dundee, on Feb. 18th, lat. 42, long. 44, in a gale from 8.W. to N.W. carried away mizen mast, main and fore topmasts, and lost nearly all the sails.

Meteor or ærolite at Pensacola, Florida, and Mobile, Alabama.

Friday, February 19.
Earthquake at Belfast, Maine.

Sunday, February 21.
Earthquake at Deerfield, N. H.

Tuesday, February 23. Schr. Chief, from Atsakapas bound to Brazos Santiago, went ashore thirty miles to the North of Brazos bar on the 23d of February. Vessel and cargo a total loss; no lives lost.

Ship Navigator, from Canton, an the 23d, off Bermuda, carried away bowsprit and sprung rudder head.

Wednesday, February 24. Packet ship Zurich, from Havre for New York, experienced a hurricane

Feb. 24, lat. 53 10, long. 25 07, ship lying too under close reefed main topsail, had all the sails blown from the yards when farled.

Saturday, February 27. Bark Oberlin, at Boston, reports : Feb. 27, lat. 40 10, long. 52, 30, experienced a hurricane from N.N.

« PreviousContinue »