Page images

same general plan as those carried on in Scandinavia. After a short stay in Galveston, Texas, and in other places, he presently settled at Boulder, Colo., where the disease that had attacked his lungs was stayed for a time, and he carried on a fruitful work in editing, translating, and instructing a small group of younger men who were associated with him, chiefly O. A. Johnson, Zechariah Sherring, and A. Christiansen. He also for a time taught Bible in the Danish-Norwegian Department of Union College. He died of tuberculosis at Santa Monica, Calif.. busy at work until the last.

Elder Matteson ably pioneered the work among Scandinavians, both in America and in Europe, for which his name will ever be held in grateful remembrance. He was a man of deep Christian experience, who entered fully into the spirit of the advent message. His work as both editor and preacher was strongly spiritual, and his influence was ever in the direction of self-denying effort in behalf of the cause he loved.

As a pioneer preacher and gospel messenger, going into new places, arousing an interest to hear, and winning adherents among a people naturally slow to change their religious affiliations, he was unsurpassed. His activity as a preacher, moreover, was strongly backed up by his literary toil. From the time when he went to Battle Creek and set up with his own hands his first tract on the Sabbath question, till the end of his faithful life, his pen was never idle. Books, tracts, and articles for the papers poured forth from him in a never-ending stream, and his work during the closing years of his career in developing the literary talents of younger men, was not the least of the services he rendered the cause of Adventism. His one large book, "Prophecies of Jesus," of 566 pages, illustrated, was published in 1895.

[graphic][merged small][merged small]
[graphic][merged small]

Taken in front of the British Mission House, Ravenswood, Shirley Road,

Southampton, in 1882.


The Work Established in Great Britain

IN Great Britain two of the outstanding truths of Seventhday Adventism, the Sabbath of creation and the imminence of Christ's second coming, had, as noted in earlier chapters of this volume, been nobly witnessed to, the former through several centuries, the latter by Edward Irving and other devoted ministers in the early decades of the nineteenth century. England, moreover, had led the nations of the world in the great missionary movement inaugurated at the close of the eighteenth century. It was, therefore, with feelings of special interest that Seventh-day Adventists prepared to open work on British soil.

The country was first visited from this continent by William Ings, born in Hampshire, England, but brought up in America, who reached Southampton, May 23, 1878. He remained at this time only two weeks in England, but soon returned to resume his labors, and after sixteen weeks was able to report ten Sabbath keepers. He continued to labor in England till the beginning of 1882, devoting his energies largely to ship missionary

work in the port of Southampton. He not only brought the advent message to the attention of a large number of captains and sailors, but through them he was able to send thousands of pages of reading matter to many remote parts of the world, the seed thus sown being destined in time to give returns in an abundant harvest.

While pushing the work forward to the best of his ability, Elder Ings was calling for more help from America. In re

sponse to his appeals, J. N. Loughborough went over at the end of December, 1878, and preached his first sermon at Shirley Hall, Jan. 5, 1879. Meetings were also held in Coxford, a suburb of Southampton, and both there and in the city proper some additions were made to the ranks of believers. In the course of the spring a sixty-foot tent was purchased, which was pitched in Southampton about the middle of May, the first meeting being held on Sunday, the 18th, with an audience of 600. Seventy-four discourses were given; and though the weather was unfavorable, the attendance continued good, and when the series closed on August 17, the company of believers in Southampton numbered about thirty.



Early in January, 1880, a national tract and missionary society was organized, with a membership of thirty-six. A club of Signs of the Times was ordered from America, and systematic missionary labor was begun by the sending out of these periodicals through the mails to persons whose names were obtained in various ways. Letters were sent out with the papers, and many interesting responses were received, sometimes as many as a hundred in a month. Papers were also to a limited extent sold from house to house.

Adventists administered baptism for the first time in Great Britain on Feb. 8, 1880, when six candidates were immersed by J. N. Loughborough. Others followed in the course of the next few months. June 18 the tent was pitched a second time at

J. N. An

Romsey, a village eight miles from Southampton. drews, though in feeble health, came from Basel to assist in this effort. The series of meetings had to be closed early, owing to severe damages inflicted by a gale; but not until some additions had been made to the company of believers. During the same summer several signed the covenant as the result of a three weeks' effort at Taunton, Somerset, among them being Henry Veysey, an experienced teacher, who afterward rendered useful service on the faculty of Battle Creek College.

On Nov. 15, 1881, Elder Loughborough sailed for America to attend the General Conference, which convened that year on the first of December, at Battle Creek, Mich. In response to his call for help, there accompanied him back to Great Britain A. A. John and his family, of Illinois; George R. and Mrs. Drew, of California; Miss Jennie Thayer, of Massachusetts; and his own son and daughter, the party reaching Southampton Jan. 25, 1882.

Elder John began labor in Grimsby, Lincolnshire, by lending packages of tracts from house to house, following up the effort by preaching in halls and on the street, and by writing for the local press. A church and a tract and missionary society were organized at Grimsby in 1884, and at Ulceby, a near-by village, in 1885. Somewhat later a church building, the first owned by Adventists in Great Britain, was erected at Ulceby.

George Drew spent a few weeks in London, going from there to Grimsby and Hull, where his sales of books and papers sometimes were as high as $45 a week. In April, 1883, he settled in Liverpool, where he continued with zeal and energy to carry forward the ship missionary work. One of his early converts, a ship captain from Finland, himself engaged in the work in his native land, and was the means of bringing the message to the attention of many.

Brother Drew not only sold books and papers, but sent large parcels of literature for free distribution to many different ports, the captains of the various vessels distributing them for him. He had been a sailor himself from early youth, and had risen to be captain of a vessel when the message found him in San Francisco. He continued the distribution of literature until a short time before his death in 1905.

Meanwhile the tract and missionary work was steadily growing. The churches continued to use the American Signs of the Times, to which they began in 1882 to attach a supplement giving interesting local particulars in reference to the work in England. Tracts were also published in increasing quantities,

« PreviousContinue »