Page images

suite of bathrooms according to specifications furnished by Dr. Olsen. This institution was for a time under the direction of Drs. F. C. and Eulalia Richards. Eventually it passed into the hands of W. M. Scott, a graduate nurse. The institution had a good patronage, and continued to be under the direction of the British Union Conference until April, 1912, since which time it has been conducted as a private institution.

The buildings occupied by the Caterham Sanitarium in Caterham, Surrey, were purchased March 5, 1903, at the expense of £3,030, of which £2,050 were supplied by the General

[graphic][merged small]

Conference, the remainder being raised by friends of the health work in the United Kingdom. The institution was dedicated and opened its doors for patients on the 30th of the following May, being in charge of Dr. A. B. Olsen as superintendent. From the beginning it enjoyed a good patronage. It soon outgrew its former quarters, acquiring two adjoining villas by purchase and renting others. It was also fitted out with steam heat, and in other ways its facilities were greatly improved. Dr. Olsen continued in charge of the Caterham Sanitarium till the year 1919, when he returned to America. Not long after this it became necessary to close the institution and sell the buildings, because of increasing heavy motor traffic on the road that passed within a few feet of the patients' rooms, the government having established a large military camp in the vicinity.

The Stanborough Park Sanitarium, located on grounds adjacent to the college of that name, was dedicated July 3, 1912, being then in charge of Dr. Charles H. Hayton. In 1922 Dr. W. A. Ruble became the superintendent. The institution has

had a good patronage from the opening day, and is exerting a wide influence for good throughout the United Kingdom.

In connection with the sanitarium work, a flourishing nurses' training school is being conducted; also active health propaganda in the form of health lectures given in different parts of the United Kingdom. A Good Health League was organized in 1902, with a central office in London and the Good Health mag

[graphic][merged small][subsumed][merged small][merged small][merged small]

"I am a total abstainer from alcohol and tobacco, and I desire to learn and to follow the perfect way of life in all that pertains to health and purity."

The Good Health magazine received a cordial welcome on the part of the reading public. Starting out with an edition of 20,000, it soon had an average circulation of 50,000 a month. Besides meeting its own expenses almost from the start, it has been able to turn over a considerable sum of money to assist in other lines of health work.

The Health Food Factory, also located at Stanborough Park, has likewise prospered, and has contributed liberally to the needs of various lines of health educational work.

[graphic][graphic][merged small][merged small][graphic][graphic][merged small][merged small]
[graphic][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small]

THE Adventist doctrines were first taught in Australia in the late sixties by Alexander Dickson, of Melbourne, a returned missionary. He learned of the views held by this people through Miss Hannah More, of the Mendi Mission, in Africa, who had become an Adventist during a furlough spent in New England. Mr. Dickson for a time labored earnestly in behalf of the Bible Sabbath, but ultimately became discouraged and gave up the truths in whose advocacy he had spent a small fortune.

As early as 1874, Mrs. E. G. White had mentioned Australia as a country where many would accept the message; but not until ten years later was the work finally entered upon. The General Conference, at its session held in November, 1884, adopted a resolution recommending that "S. N. Haskell go to Australia as soon as possible, and superintend the establishment of a mission there," and that J. O. Corliss and other laborers be associated with him in the work. The party set sail from San Francisco May 10, 1885, including, besides the ministers already mentioned, M. C. Israel, Henry Scott, of California, and William Arnold, of Michigan; also the families of the Brethren Corliss and Israel.

Work was begun at Richmond, a suburb of Melbourne, and hall rent being high, the Americans confined their efforts at

first to visiting the people in their homes, and making the acquaintance of some of the leading business men. The latter were open-minded and friendly from the start. The members of the working class, on the other hand, were difficult of access, and inclined to be suspicious of new doctrines. As soon as a few began to show an interest, the leading clergymen of the


The first to accept the message in


town entered upon a course of bitter opposition; but this helped rather than hindered the progress of the message. Tract distributors were placed in various shops, and papers were also stuck between the pickets of the iron fences inclosing the public grounds, whence the people passing to their daily work would take them.

Gradually results began to appear. One Sabbath, while the workers were assembled for worship, a man called with a copy of the Signs which he had taken from a fence picket. He said he had learned the address of the mission from the paper, and wished one of the workers to take part in a gathering to be held in South Melbourne the following Thursday night for the consideration of the Sabbath question. J. O. Corliss attended the meeting, and showed in his handling of the subject so much tact and such a broad knowledge of the Scriptures that he was invited to conduct regular Bible studies at the homes of some of the members. A goodly number assembled for these studies, and eventually fifteen of the young men who attended the first meeting on Thursday night accepted the Adventist views. Two of these men were printers, and their knowledge of the printing business was of great help a little later in the publishing of a paper.

Meanwhile aggressive public work being desirable, and halls and private homes being largely closed on account of prejudice, it seemed best to try to hold meetings under canvas. A 40 x 60foot tent was accordingly ordered, and pitched in North Fitzroy, one of the suburbs of Melbourne, in September, 1885. The meetings were advertised by means of notices in the various papers

« PreviousContinue »