Page images
[ocr errors][ocr errors]


[ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors]

Maria IM Arul pole
Ayu Son Halt.

Angono ju ne


[ocr errors]

Angono o

[ocr errors]


[ocr errors]







all of A nai derma

ne 14. J

3) ian

9"Con loulon Wash
and 36","started from Pang Daniel Mora
lowy/I'dad). Dry Gendhille, WA Wik
nghong nedad Centul. Reng, and Alonet
Trannherman A. BrgarteSoneral
iwlos trinn from laylay yn going
Pary well W SA . ew... Morong. * IA
Town hd * yonbrud Nunilan ni SA

Con Nall with color.

[merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors]

Copyrighted by P. E. Lamar,


and taking five companies of the 20th Kansas, in person, led a charge upon the enemy's entrenchments, which were all carried, and he fled in the direction of San Fernando. Col. Funston, 20th Kansas Volunteer Inf., was wounded at this. time. Capt. Cabell, 3d U. S. Inf.; 1st Lieut. F. D. Webster, 20th U. S. Inf., Aide-de-camp; Lieut. Philip P. Russell, 1st Nebraska Volunteer Inf., A. A. A. G., and Lieut. Edward Kinnell, 3d U. S. Art., A. A. Q. M.; all of the General's personal staff accompanied him in this charge.

On May 5th, San Fernando was occupied, the enemy having burned the public buildings and Aed on the night of the 4th.


On the 16th of May, Gen. Funston was assigned to command the 1st Brigade, second division, at San Fernando, relieving Gen. Wheaton, and on the 22d, having about recovered from his wound received on May 4th, at Santo Tomas, assumed command.

On May 25th, at about 7 o'clock A. M., the enemy opened fire on the left of the line occupied by the brigade, from a trench at right angles to the Bacolor Road, and at a distance of about one mile from our outposts. At 8:30, the brigade having been assembled at the outposts, two battalions of the Montana Regiment, under cominand of Lieutenant-Colonel Wallace, were sent along a sunken road to fall on the enemy's right, and two battalions of the 20th Kansas, under command of Maj. Whitman, were sent to make a similar movement against the enemy's left, while two guns of the Utah Art., under Capt. Wedgewood, took up position opposite the enemy's center. The movement was completely concealed until the two attacking columns had arrived within 200 yards of the enemy's lines. The affair lasted less than one hour, both flanks of the enemy were rolled back, and the entire force driven in confusion through Bacolor. The enemy's loss was fifty-three dead, thirty-four wounded, and twenty-nine prisoners. Three horses and all the official correspondence of the Filipino commanding officer were captured. Our loss, one man killed, one mortally wounded, one officer and five enlisted men wounded in the Kansas Regiment, and four men wounded in the Montana.

On May 25th, Ger. Funston, with three companies of the brigade and detachment of scouts, made a reconnoissance to and through the town of Santa Rita, driving a small body of insurrectos toward Porac, with no losses. Upon his return to this place, he found that the enemy had appeared in force in front of the right of the brigade. Taking eight companies of the Kansas Regiment, Gen. Funston moved against the enemy's right flank, quickly repulsing them, and driving them back.



Photo by Lilit


About 4 o'clock A. M., on May 26th, a slight affair occurred on the right of the Montanas' line, a scouting party of insurgents having cut off one of our outposts, forcing it to move by the flank to escape capture.

At 4:05 A. M., June 3d, the enemy opened fire from a point on the Bacolor Road with artillery, and volleys from infantry, advancing several hundred yards.

No reply on our part being made, the enemy quickly withdrew. On June 10th the Brigade Commander with his staff and one company, each, from the Montana and Kansas Regiments, made a second reconnaissance through and to the north of Bacolor. Reaching Bacolor, the Kansas company was left at that point to protect the line of retreat, and

the remainder of the command advanced towards Angeles. About one and a half miles beyond Bacolor a force of Filipinos, deployed across our road, was met. Though about 200 in number, the forty men of the Montana company were deployed, and opened fire on them. The firing was vigorously replied to, and ten minutes later an additional force of about 250 of the enemy opened fire from a distance of about 800 yards, and on our left flank. This second party attempted to cut us off from Bacolor, by extending to their right. A withdrawal was promptly ordered and successfully accomplished, the Kansas company that had advanced at the sound of the firing covering the movement. Two Montana men were severely wounded.

On June 16th, at about 4:45 A. M., a general attack was made by the enemy from all around the town of San Fernando. They employed several pieces of artillery, and it was estimated that at least 4000 infantry were in the attacking force. Our outposts were promptly re-inforced, and the enemy having advanced all along the front of the brigade to within 500 yards, a sharp fight of about an hour and a half resulted. A flank movement against an exposed portion of the enemy's line was admirably executed by a battalion of the 20th Kansas, commanded by Maj. Bishop, taking the enemy at that point entirely by surprise. Thirty-six of the enemy were killed by this battalion in five minutes. Total casualties in the brigade, six enlisted men wounded.

On June 24th, the 20th Kansas was relieved by the 9th U. S. Inf., Col. E. H. Liscum commanding, and on June 28th, the Montana Regiment was replaced in the brigade by the 12th U. S. Inf. Lieutenant-Colonel J. H. Smith commanding. The four batteries of the 3d U. S. Art. were detached from the brigade on June 3d. On June 30th, at 10 A. M., and at 10:30 P. M., and at about 10 P. M., July 4th, desultory firing by the enemy, at long range, was experienced. At no time did the enemy attempt an advance, and but two casualties, both slight, resulted.



When Gens. Hale, Otis and Wheaton moved north, Gen. Hall remained in the province of Manila, guarding the water-works, and meeting the annoying attacks of the insurrectos. Gen. Lawton having relieved Gen. Anderson, in

command of the 1st Division, and subsequently been assigned to command of all troops south of Caloocan, Gen. Hall was directed to make a movement southeast from the pumping station. His column, which was assembled at the water-works on the evening of the 2d of June, consisted of the 2d Oregon Inf., a battalion of the 1st Wyoming, four troops of the 4th Cav., one mounted on American horses, the others dismounted, two battalions of 4th Inf., one battalion of the 9th Inf., six companies of the 1st Colorado, and two mountain guns.

At four o'clock on the morning of the 3d, they began crossing the San Mateo River, and about noon easily repulsed a considerable force of Filipinos, twelve miles east of Manila. At the same time Col. Wholley, who relieved Gen. King in command of his brigade, proceeded east from San Pedro Macati, the two columns approaching each other. The town of Cainta was captured, with small loss, Gen. Hall driving the Filipinos from the vicinity of Mariquina towards Wholley's column. During the night of the 3d, a part of Wholley's Brigade, under Col. Treumann, advanced to the Filipino position at Taytay, which they reached at daybreak of the 4th, immediately attacking. After a sharp engagement the natives fled over the mountains, Col. Treumann pursuing. Many were killed, and many captured, with their arms and ammunition.

Hall's Brigade moved at the same time toward Antipolo, leaving behind the Oregon Regiment and 9th Inf., to guard Mariquina. The Filipinos made, as usual, a vigorous resistance, feeling hopeful of success, Antipolo never having been taken by the Spanish. Situated high up in the mountains and easily defended it had always made a successful defense. After three or four hours' climb up a steep mountain grade, the American lines, which were thrown around the town on three sides, closed in for a final advance, at 8:30 A. M., but closed upon a deserted city. The Filipinos had abandoned their last refuge in this direction.

Gen. Hall marched from Antipolo towards Morong, which lies about six and a half miles southeast of the mountain town, on the peninsula of Morong, stopping at Teresa, half way between, until the morning of the 5th, when he advanced to the town of Morong without incident.

In the meantime Col. Wholley, with eight companies of the Washington Inf., had marched by night from Taytay to Pasig, where he embarked on cascos, which were attached by lines to the three guyboats

SHOWING CONSTRUCTION OF INSURGENT TRENCHES. Na pidan, Covadonga and Oesta, lying there ready to tow them to their destination near Morong. Col. Treumann, with the 1st North Dakota and 12th Inf., advanced by the lake shore, clearing the country of the natives. Thus the large force in the field was concentrated on this province, thought so important by Gen. Lawton, who had met Gen. Hall at Taytay and was present in person at Morong, and who had passed two nights without sleep, directing the movements of his army.


At Morong the Filipinos made a stubborn fight, using artillery, and sending a shell into the Covadonga, but the contest ended, as was intended by Gens. Lawton and Hall, with the evacuation of Morong, and its re-occupation by the Americans.

In this movement on Morong peninsula, Gen. Hall completed the circuit of twenty miles over a rough country, fighting two engagements, one of them severe, and keeping up an almost constant fire against scattered parties of insurrectos for almost twenty-four hours, from four o'clock on the morning of the 3d to about the same hour on the morning of the 4th. The gunboats, as in so many other operations, had been of great assistance in driving the natives from their defenses. The difficult nature of the country prevented heavy artillery from reaching position. Lieut. Hawthorne, who was in command of the light mountain battery, was compelled to burn his wagons to prevent them from falling into the enemy's hands.

The Washington Regiment, which returned to Pasig on the 5th, and which had not rested for forty-eight hours, was exhausted, and all had found the service hard, although cheerfully performed. On the 6th, Hall's Brigade, excepting three troops of the 4th Cav., and all of Wholley's Brigade, excepting the North Dakotas, returned to their quarters.

The excepted companies, under Col. Treumann, remained at Morong until the 7th of July, when six companies of the 21st Inf., relieved them. During the month of June there were some slight skirmishes, in which twelve or fifteen Filipinos were killed, and one American scout killed. The base of operations on the lake shore was a mere hamlet of the “ nipa” huts. On the 21st of July, the 21st Inf., leaving a small guard, advanced along the lake shore to Paete, where they were joined by other troops brought there on cascos. The town of Calamba was taken by the 21st Inf., on the 26th of July. An attack was made July 29th, on Santa Cruz, which Gen. Lawton had selected for a base of operations, but the American force was repulsed, and Santa Cruz remained untaken. The American loss in this campaign, was ten killed, and twenty-seven wounded.

With the exception of a movement of a part of Hall's Brigade, under command of Col. Summers, of the Oregon Regiment, from Bocaue, in support of a northern movement by Gen. Lawton, of which some account will appear

in describing that expedition, this practically concludes the history of the operations of MacArthur's Division, for the spring of 1899. The rainy season coming on, no further active operations were attempted, pending the arrival the new troops to replace the volunteers whose terms of enlistment had expired. Our lines were gradually contracted as our effective force diminished, and the territory yielded was immediately re-occupied by the insurgents.

« PreviousContinue »