Page images

into the hospital. We, who are unarmed get behind the ammunition boxes and “Suave qui peut,” is in order. Forty riflemen come up and fight the trees and fields for two hours and a half. But thick and fast flow events. Here is a wounded man: “Company K, wounded in right forearm, not serious."

A hundred feet behind, the Chinese have a litter. They carry a silent form. A young boy of seventeen years. Ten minutes ago, that was Healy-little Joe Healy of Company M, 13th Regulars. Somebody in America to-day is poorer because of the rich Philippines. Joe was terribly young. He had a surprise look of wonder on his face. What could death have told him that surprised him so? Ask the Sphinx. Why did the tap-taps come out of the woods and cut his throat like that? Not much had happened to Joe. Only “shot in the neck fatally." Ah, Joe, what makes you lie so still, gazing intently up? You are not always serious, you were gay and sprightly, Joe.

And now the tropic sun is getting up above our heads. The boys are young, and many are for the first time under fire. Under a tent cover in this long, hot grass, are two men overcome by heat. A comrade watches by. This one is prostrated by the heat, and that one has fever coming on.

THE WORK OF THE EXPEDITION. What had happened in military details is this: The Colorado Inf., the 9th and 21st Inf., and one troop of the Nevada Cav., swung around the hilltop of the ridge above Guadalupe church and opened battle at 6:30 A. M. The rebels made no response from the hills and the Colorado men cautiously advanced through the thick grass until they were confronted by a trench.

The Colorado Regiment then advanced toward Laguna de Bay. Two companies encountered trenches on the top of a knoll, where the Filipinos stood waist high above a trench, pouring a volley upon them. They charged and drove out the enemy, Lieutenant-Colonel Moses being wounded in the arm as he jumped into the trench. On the Paranaque side, meantime, Scott's Battery of the 6th Art., shelled the first line of insurgent defense with good effect. Then a part of the 13th and 14th Regiments formed in skirmish line, extending a mile to the right, and supported by the rest of the regiments swept

THE BURNING OF CALOOCAN. Photo by K. I. F. down the valley and up the hillside toward another trench. The approach through the morass seriously hampered the 14th, and the rebels, taking advantage of this, poured a galling fire upon them for thirty minutes. The 14th was twice compelled to withdraw for the purpose of finding a safe crossing in the swamp. Finally the trench was enfiladed on both flanks. The rebels fled to the woods and sustained severe loss. Lieut. Geiger of the 14th with forty-five men took a hill from 300 Filipinos. About three o'clock in the afternoon, Gen. Wheaton's Brigade, headed by Gen. Lawton, who, in his white clothing and helmet, on a big black horse, was a shining mark for the enemy's sharpshooters, circled to the south of Las Pinas, encountering a large force of Filipinos in the shelter of


Proto by Lallie.

TRAIN WRECKED BY INSURGENTS NEAR ANGELES. the trees. Gen. Lawton had a narrow escape. In the first volley of the enemy the horses of three officers were shot from under them. The Colorado Regiment and the 9th Inf., bore the brunt of this attack and dispersed the Filipinos. Hardly had they finished off that lot when a large force appeared in the rear, which the 9th Inf. and a part of the Colorado Regiment drove away. By this time nearly the whole division was around Las Pinas.

During the march, men were prostrated on all sides, owing to the lack of water and exposure to the sun. It is estimated that forty per cent of the troops were exhausted. Our men threw away their blankets, coats and even haversacks, stripping to the waist and trusting to luck for food. Water could not be obtained, and there was much discomfort after the canteens were emptied.

While the troops were advancing the army gunboat Napidan, on the river near Pasig, shelled the enemy, killing several of them. The monitor, Monadnock, and the gunboat Helena, shelled Paranaque and Las Pinas, all day with the full power of their batteries. The rebel sharpshooters kept in hiding until the American lines had passed, and then attempted to pot stragglers from the trees. Owing to their poor marksmanship their efforts were without result.

The Americans made camp for the night, south of the town, during a heavy rain. Gen. Ovenshine's Brigade did not come into camp until after dark. Stragglers came in all during the night. Men had fallen on the way and were able to continue their march only after rest and the coolness of evening had refreshed them. At six o'clock on the morning of the 11th, Gen. Wheaton advanced upon Las Pinas with a troop of cavalry, the 21st Inf., the Colorado Regiment, part of the 9th Inf., and two mountain guns, crossing two streams and entering the town without firing a shot. He then entered Paranaque.

PARANAQUE OCCUPIED. Gen. Ovenshine came into Paranaque with his brigade, about 10 A. M. The troops had been stalled in mud, two feet deep. Only by proceeding in single file and each man treading in the footsteps of the man in front of him were they able to

advance. How the artillery was brought through these bogs is a mystery. Lieut. Scott, of the 6th Art., and Lieut. Fleming brought up cannon and horses.

The women and children and, for that matter, many men, remained in the towns. No houses were destroyed, though many were torn by the shells from the warships. Everywhere the Americans found white flags flying.

So far as could be ascertained, the Filipino loss was about fifty killed, about three hundred and fifty wounded and twenty taken prisoners. The 13th U. S. Inf, and the Colorado Volunteer Inf. were ordered to return to Manila, leaving Las Pinas about 5 P. M. same day.

On June 12th, the command remained in their relative positions during the day, except that outposts south of the camp were strengthened by artillery. During the afternoon of the same day the Commanding General examined the insurgent's position along the bay, on board the launch Helena.

THE FIGHTING CONTINUED. Early the following morning, Gen. Lawton, with two companies, 21st Inf., left camp at Las Pinas and proceeded towards Bacoor to reconnoiter the enemy's position. After going about one mile, the enemy was encountered in large force. They opened fire from all sides, the fire being returned by our men with good effect, and the gunboats in the bay shelled the enemy's trenches. The enemy was found to be too strong for our small force, and they were obliged to retreat for a short distance. Re-inforcements were brought up about noon, and a hot fight ensued, lasting until about 5 P. M.

After an artillery battle and some lively skirmishing, an advance was made in the direction of Bacoor, and it developed into the hardest fight since the hostilities with the Filipinos began.

The main work was the direct attack on Zapote Bridge. Kenley's Battery of four mountain guns and two 3-inch guns, with Company E of the 14th Inf. as support, advanced straight along the road to the bridge. The other companies of the 14th Regiment moved forward to the right and left of the road.


Photo by Darcey.

INSURGENT TRENCHES AT MALINTA. The rebels had dug enormous trenches along the Bacoor side of the river and had burned the planking in the middle of the bridge to prevent the Americans from crossing and taking their positions. Our men pushed steadily forward until they reached the bank of the river. Then Kenley took his mountain guns right up to the bridge and poured a heavy fire into the trenches, but they were so well constructed that it was impossible to damage them greatly. So close were we to the enemy that we could see their heads above the earthworks. Gen. Lawton told the writer that the Filipinos here made the bravest defense he had ever seen. Our artillery was within thirty-five yards of their trenches.

A tremendous fire was set up in spite of the galling return. It was not long before the rebels began to grow restive under the hail of bullets that was being poured into them, and finally they broke and ran. That part of our army in front of the Filipino trenches then ran along the bank of the river, and standing upright, directed a terrible fire upon the fugitives. The 14th Inf. swam across the river and found many Filipinos dead and dying in the trenches and fields. Probably fifty dead natives were found in the vicinity of the bridge.

The rebels had a second line of trenches half a mile away. Half an hour after the retreat from the first line, firing was re-opened from this second line. Fresh troops were hurried forward to relieve the tired men who had captured the first line, and a heavy fire was opened on the enemy, who responded only for a short time and then fled. Gen. Wheaton was slightly hurt by falling from his horse. Gen. Ovenshine commanded the attack on the bridge. Gen. Lawton personally directed the movement. The latter was a conspicuous mark for the enemy. He is a big man and his uniform and his white helmet could be easily distinguished for a great distance, but he went up and down the line unscathed.

Ensign Davis of the Helena came ashore with a Colt rapid-fire gun and saw lively service. He captured a Filipino cannon, which had been placed below the bridge, and found a supply of canister shot and brown powder.

Almost at the same time the 9th and 12th crossed a bar of the bay and came upon their left flank at a point where a body of marines, with Maxim guns, landed under protection of the ships' batteries and fired upon the enemy's left rear with a demoralizing effect. The 21st crossed the river by a bridge as soon as it could be mended. Sixty-five Filipinos were found dead in the trenches, most of them shot through the head. Several five-inch smooth bore guns were captured, with ammunition marked “United States Navy.” After crossing the river, the troops were withdrawn, with the exception of the 9th and 21st, these regiments being left with four guns to guard the bridge.

As they were being formed into companies, the insurgents commenced to fire volleys from the bamboo jungle three hundred yards away. The regiments formed into line coolly, though under fire, rushed to the woods, driving the enemy a mile away, the Filipinos disputing every foot. The 14th camped across the river, the men caring for many of the Filipino wounded. Eight prisoners were captured. The majority of the Filipinos wore red uniforms. The American loss in the fighting of the 13th, was nine killed and thirty wounded. The Filipino loss was heavy.

After the engagement of the 13th, the Filipinos retreated to the strongly fortified town of Imus. The shelling of our warships drove the rebels from Bacoor. The Americans by these operations gained control of several miles of the coast, while the long line of entrenchments facing our south line had been cleared.

On the 14th, Gen. Lawton and his staff, and a troop of the 4th Cav., started to ascertain the nature of the insurgent's position. He rode five miles along the coast to Bacoor, without discovering the enemy. He found the town full of white flags, but there were no soldiers there. The women and children who had fled to the woods during the bombardment were camping in the ruins of their homes. The shells had knocked the town to pieces. The big church was wrecked and many buildings were ruined. Even trees and shrubbery were torn as if by a hailstorm.

Several hundred women and children came into the American lines for refuge, and the road from Bacoor was covered all day with natives on foot and in carts, driving animals and carrying goods on their heads. The appearances of the battlefield testified to the fierceness of the fighting. The trees along the river were almost torn down by bullets. The American officers estimate that one hnndred insurgents were killed and three hundred wounded during the engagement.


Services at Battery Knoll over the remains of three soldiers, Privates in the Kansas, Washington and

12th Infantry. This made a total of 264 men buried in this place to date, June 2, 1899. All day many hungry Filipinos were fed at Paranaque and Las Pinas. The first issue of rations that morning consisted of rice and canned roast beef. Some of the beef issued was spoiled. On the 18th a strong reconnaissance had been made south of Noveleta. It was reported that a strong force of insurgents was at San Francisco de Malabon. Gen. Wheaton started a reconnaissance toward Perez Dasmarinas also. The country to the south of Imus had not been scouted. The rebels were reported to be concentrated at Perez Dasmarinas.

· June 18th, our troops having occupied Imus, and the enemy threatening an attack from Dasmarinas eight miles north, Gen. Wheaton was sent by the Department Commander to assume, under Gen. Lawton, command of the troops at Imus. On the morning of the 19th, a battalion of the 4th Inf. and one gun, under Maj. John W. Bubb, was sent on the road from Imus in the direction of Dasmarinas to

« PreviousContinue »