« PreviousContinue »
statement, and the office in which and the compensation of the position, date of commencement of service, and the date of transfer in or separation from the service by dismissal, resignation, cancellation of appointment, or death.
Bule XXII. Certification for Payment for Services.
For the purpose of certification of pay-rolls, estimates and accounts as required by section i9 of the Civil Service Law, appointing officers and heads of departments shall furnish the Commission with pay-rolls, estimates, accounts and certificates in form and manner as follows:
i. Heads of departments, offices and institutions in the State service, whose employees are paid individually direct from the treasury of the State or any civil division thereof, shall furnish the Commission, at least five days before payment is to be made, pay-rolls in duplicate, showing the names of the persons to be paid, the title of the position held or kind of service performed by each person, the rate and amount of compensation to which he is entitled, and the period for which he is to be paid, and shall certify that the persons named therein are employed solely in the proper duties of the positions and employments indicated, and that persons described as or proposed to be paid as "laborers " are employed at ordinary unskilled labor only. After examination and certification by the Commission as hereinafter prescribed, such pay-rolls shall be transmitted by it to the Comptroller or fiscal officer of such civil division for further examination and payment as required by law, and one of said duplicates shall accompany the warrant on the Treasurer or other disbursing officer.
2. For payments for irregular or occasional services, and for advances of salary to regular employees, the head of such a department, office or institution shall transmit to the Commission the original account or a special payroll or a request for advance payment, bearing his written approval, which approval shall be deemed to be a certificate of the facts required by the preceding section to be certified on the regular pay-rolls. Upon examination and certification by the Commission such account, pay-roll or request shall be forwarded to the Comptroller or other fiscal officer.
3. Heads of departments, offices or institutions whose employees are paid directly by the department without previous detailed estimate to the Comptroller, shall furnish the Commission, before payment is made, or in case of employees of the Department of Public Works ancl of the State Engineer and Surveyor on the canals, outside of Albany, before credit is claimed from the Comptroller on such pay-rolls, the pay-rolls and certificates as required in section i hereof, and except in the case noted, disbursing officers of such departments, offices and institutions shall not pay such persons until the Commission shall certify as hereinafter prescribed. Heads and disbursing officers of such departments, offices and institutions shall file the pay-rolls certified by the Commission as vouchers in claiming credit from the Comptroller or other fiscal officer for such payments.
4. The estimates for payment of officers and employees, and for services of State hospitals and charitable institutions required by law to render detailed estimates in advance under what is known as the "estimate system," containing the names, titles of positions held or kind or service performed and rate of compensation of all officers and employees in the classified service with the certificate specified in section i hereof, shall be submitted to the Commission for certification before approval by the Comptroller or other department having power of revision Df such estimates, and no vouchers for payments for services shall be received unless in accord with such estimates, and the certificate of the Commission.
5. The Secretary or assistant secretary of the Commission shall compare such pay-roll, estimate or account for services with the official roster and shall attach thereto or place thereon a certificate in form substantially as follows:
I hereby certify that the person (or persons) named in this (or the attached) pay-roll (or estimate of account) for
service rendered to the State of New York in the
containing names have been appointed or promoted to or employed in the positions or places and at the rates of compensation indicated in pursuance of the Civil Service Law, and the rules made in pursuance thereof as shown by the official roster of the State service except
(Here insert names in reyard to which the pay-roll, estimate or account disagrees with the official roster.)
Secretary of the State Civil Service Commission.
To provide for the making of such certifications and for other purposes the Commission shall designate an employee in its office to act as assistant secretary of the Commission, under and by direction of the Secretary when that officer is on duty and for him and in his stead in his absence.
6. Upon satisfactory evidence that, with intent to evade the provisions of law and of these rules, any person appointed to or employed in any position in the classified service has been assigned to perform duties other than those for which he was examined and certified, or under any title not appropriate to the duties to be performed, the Commission will refuse certification, and remove his name from the official roster.
Rule XXIII. Causes for Removal.
To secure compliance with the provisions of the Civil Service Law prohibiting removals because of political opinions or affiliations and in accordance with the further provisions regarding the removal of honorably discharged soldiers, sailors and marines and exempt volunteer firemen, no removal of any person in the classified service of the State shall be valid unless and until a statement of the causes of such removal shall be filed with the Commission and a copy of the same furnished to the person sought to be removed, and until such person has been afforded an opportunity to present an explanation in writing.
Rule XXIV. Extension of Rules.
These rules shall not be deemed to extend to the offices, places and employments in the civil divisions of the State until after due inquiry by the Commission it shall be found practicable, of which finding proper and timely notice shall be given.
Rule XXV. Administrative Regulations.
The Commission shall prescribe and enforce suitable regulations for carrying into effect the provisions of these rules and those of the Civil Service Law and of section 9 of article V of the Constitution, not inconsistent therewith; and shall prescribe blank forms for all applications, certificates, reports, records and returns required under these rules and the regulations made in pursuance thereof.
STATE OF NEW YORK
June 8, i899
The foregoing rules prescribed by the State Civil Service Commission are hereby approved.
THE PUBLIC HEALTH — NUISANCE MAINTAINED BY THE EASTERN PAVING BRICK CO. AT CATSKILL — DECLARATION
State Of New York
In the Matter of the Investigation of the State Board of Health into an alleged nuisance caused by the Eastern Paving Brick Company, at Catskill, N. Y.
An order having been made by me on May ist, i899, directing the State Board of Health to investigate into an alleged nuisance caused by the Eastern Paving Brick Company, of Catskill, N. Y., and the said State Board of Health having returned to me their report of such re-investigation and examination, wherein they find the following facts:
ist. That by the operation of the machinery used by said company, great and unnecessary noise is made and