Page images

Tories, assembled at Burn's Tavern, and had come tu some resolutions more passionate than judicious, that of sending away the wives and children of those men who had gone with the British or were within the British lines. After the zealots had formed this design, they then began to devise the mode of carrying it into execution and proposed to put themselves under some commander and accordingly sent a messenger to request Captain Peale to attend them, but as soon as he was made acquainted with the business he told them that he could not approve of the measure, as it would in the practice be found a difficult and dangenerous undertaking; that the taking of women and children from their homes would cause so much affliction and grief, that when seen the humanity of their fellow-citizens would be aroused into an opposition to such a measure and that such attempt must of course fail. But all his arguments were in vain with the determined band; they could not see these difficulties. He then told them that the danger in case of a failure in such an attempt would be imminent to the commander of such a party. The reply was that General Washington could not take his command without running some risks and that they in this undertaking would sacrifice their lives or effect it. Peale was at last obliged to refuse and made the excuse that he was applied to by some friends to stand as a Candidate at the then approaching Election for members of the General Assembly, after which all further intreaty ceased, and he left them and did not hear anything further of their proceedings until the Thursday night following, when he received a notice that desired him, with Colonel Bull, Major Boyd and Doct's Hutchingson to meet the Militia on the Monday following at Mr. Burn's Tavern or the Commons. These persons, as noticed, having consulted together all of them disapproved of the violent proceedings of the Militia. Dr. Huchingson said he would not attend the meeting, Peale and the other gentleman conceived that they, as good citizens, were in duty bound to go and use their best endeavors to restrain as far as they might be able, any violent and improper proceedings, and in duty to themselves at least, to remonstrate in a public manner against having any part in the business. After further consideration Doct'r Hutchingson agreed to meet them. Colonel Bull being dangerously ill could not attend. Accordingly on that memorable Monday Dr. H., Major Boyd and Peale went to Mr. Burn's Tavern (where great numbers of the Militia had already assembled) and they did use every argument in their power to prevent any further proceedings in that vain and dangerous undertaking; they represented the difficulty of selecting such Characters, as all could agree to be obnoxious amongst such a Body of the People; that in such an attempt they must infallibly differ as to the objects, and of course no good purpose could be answered.

Amongst the militia were many Germans, whose attachment to the American Cause was such that they disregarded every danger, and whose resentment at this time was most violently inveterate against all Tories. They only looked straight forward regardless of consequences. In short to reason with a multitude of devoted Patriots assembled on such an occasion was in vain, and Peale finding all that could be said availed nought, he left them and went to his home and afterwards to the President General Reed, whom he found preparing to go out in order to prevent mischief, which he said was to be feared from the tidings then brought him. Peale immediately returns again to his home, where he had not been long, before he heard the firing of small arms. He then began to think that he ought to prepare himself by getting his fire arms in order in case he should be under the necessity of making use of them. For no man could now know where the affair would end. And finding his wife and family very uneasy, he determined to stay within his own doors for the present time. Shortly that tragical scene was ended and very fortunately no lives were lost. The militia having taken two more men, whom they conceived were inimical to the American Cause, they were parading them up Walnut street and when they had got opposite James Wilson's House at the corner of Third street, where a considerable number of gentlemen to the number of about thirty, and had armed themselves, amongst them Captain Campbell, commander of an Invalid

Corps, this unfortunate person hoisted a window with a pistol in his hand and some conversation having passed between him and the passing militia, a firing began and poor Campbell was killed. A negro boy at some distance from the house was also killed and four or five persons badly wounded. The militia had now become highly exasperated and had just broken into the house and most probably would have killed every one assembled within those walls, but very fortunately for them, General Reed with a number of the Light Horse appeared at this very fortunate juncture and dispersed the militia. Numbers of them were taken and committed to the Common Jaol and a Guard placed to prevent a rescue. The next morning the Officers of the Militia and numbers of the People assembled at the Court House in Market street, and the minds of Citizens generally seemed to be much distressed. The Militia of Germantown were beginning to assemble and General Reed had sent Mr. Matlack, the Secretary of Council, to the officers of the Militia then assembled in Market street, as above mentioned, to endeavor to keep them waiting until he could address them. Peale hearing of this meeting at the Court House went there and found that the officers were exceedingly warm and full of resentment that any of the Militia should be kept in durance in the Jaol, they appeared to be ripe for undertaking the release of the prisoners, and all Mr. Matlack's argument perhaps would have been insufficient to keep them much longer from being active. Several of the Magistrates were present, and Peale whispered to Mr. Matlack to know it he did not think it would be prudent to propose the taking Bail for the Prisoners, and let them be released by the Magistrates then present. This opinion was approved of as the most certain means to prevent discord and perhaps a further shedding of blood. This measure being proposed to the officers of the Militia they readily entered into security for the personal appearance of the Militia men, then confined, at any future time for trial, and in consequence the prisoners were released by the Magistrates. General Reed having succeeded in preventing the Germantown militia from entering the City, came expecting to find things in the situation he had left them and was not a little mortified to find that Mr. Matlack could not do as he had ordered. The People were assembled at the State House and he publicly harangued them. After which amongst a number of officers and his particular acquaintances he was blaming Mr. Matlack for not doing as he requested him. Peale then told the General that Mr. Matlack ought not to suffer blame, for if the measure was wrong that he was the unlucky person who had proposed that measure, which he then conceived was the best expedient, as it had the appearance of being a judicious act."

"Peale in 1779 was a member of the State Assembly from the City of Philadelphia. This assembly passed an act of oblivion on the proceedings of the Riot and also acts for the gradual abolition of slavery, a lengthy militia Law and sundry other honorable Acts, one of which was recommended by Congress to enable them to get the benefit of a further use of paper for the purpose of carrying on the War; viz., that act which rated the value of old continental paper money at .40 for one."

When peace was declared between Great Britain and the United States of America President Dickenson and the Executive Council employed Peale to paint a Triumphal Arch, in commemoration of its conclusion,

Charles Willson Peale's first wife, Rachel Brewer, died in April 1790. She was the mother of eleven of his children, five of whom died in infancy. His second wife was Elizabeth De Peyster, of New York, by whom he had six children. She died in 1804, and he maried thirdly Hannah Moore, of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, who died without issue in 1821. Charles Willson Peale died February 22, 1827, at Philadelphia, and was buried on the 24th in the yard of St. Peter's Protestant Episcopal Church at the corner of Third and Pine streets in

that city.





[Paper (abridged) read before the Chapter on November 18, 1898.]

Honored Regent and Daughters: When I was asked, a few days ago, to read a paper before you at this Chapter meeting, I considered on the theme which would most interest you; I began to soar in the upper strata of our Nation's history, in Patriotism-but the air was too rarified, I clipped my wings, and at last settled upon the homespun subject "Ourselves."

During this first year and a half of our Chapter's work, our reports chronicle no greater achievements than doubtless do those of many sister Chapters, but we believe our work has been commensurate with our numbers.

The first ink upon our Chapter's calendar would read "Organized, January 4, 1897, at 235 Central Park West; charter granted January 25; charter formally presented by State Regent to the Chapter, at the Waldorf Hotel, February 15, 1897.” In fine, the calendar chronicles that we were born, christened and cut our first teeth.

The mantle of foster-motherhood fell upon the shoulders of Mrs. Henry Green, as Regent, under whose hospitable roof we first breathed a Chapter's breath. The mantle has been affectionately and gracefully worn. She has stood out pure, strong, loyal, patriotic; and under her spirit of energy our eye teeth and molar dentals have come forth, we have passed from babyhood and proudly "walk alone."

The charter members were: (1) Mrs. Richard Henry Green, (2) Miss Mary Falconer Perrin, (3) Mrs. Frederic Hasbrouck, (4) Mrs. Henry Munson, (5) Mrs. Pierre Bouchè, (6) Miss Alice May Hart, (7) Mrs. Wm. B. Coughtry, (8) Miss Anna l'alconer Perrin, (9) Miss May F. Holland, (10) Miss Helen

« PreviousContinue »