Page images

society. On September 30, 1904, died Dr. Reuben S. Myers, a well known and respected citizen of Clarence Center, N. Y., at the age of 65 years. Dr. Myers was a son of Jacob and Anna Myers and was born on the 24th day of February, 1839, at Montville, Pa. He was educated in the common schools and graduated from the Millersville Normal School of Lancaster County, Pa. He commenced the study of medicine in 1856 in the office of Dr. Amos K. Rohrer, an eminent physician and surgeon of Montville, Pa. He attended lectures at the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania during the sessions of 1858 and 1859 and later received his degree of doctor in medicine from the University of Vermont.

Dr. Myers was in the active practice of medicine at Clarence Center from 1860 until a short time before his death. He was a member of the Medical Society of the State of New York, the New York Pharmaceutical Association, the Medical Society of the County of Erie, and of the Gross Medical Club, composed of some forty physicians in Erie County. He was always a regular attendant at all meetings of the societies of which he was a member and his genial manner and commanding presence was always welcomed by all members. He was an efficient secretary of the Gross Medical Club continuously for about ten years.

Dr. Myers was the soul of honor in consultation with his medical associates and was never known to do an unprofessional act to a professional brother. In his long country practice he was often thrown on his own resources and was obliged to perform many surgical operations such as removal of tumors, amputations, ligation of important arteries. He made a specialty of surgical work and the treatment of lung and throat diseases.

The doctor was also the author of several valuable papers, one on Albuminuria and one on Puerperal convulsions, published in the Philadelphia Medical Record. He was also the author of the following papers, published in the Olive Tree: Leprosy, 1887; Drainage, 1888; Cholera, 1888.

In politics the doctor was always an earnest democrat, ever working for the success of his party, and his party in turn always honored and respected him. He was an intimate friend of ex-President Cleveland and in 1870 he was elected coroner, being on the same ticket with the ex-President, who was elected as sheriff of Erie county. During both administrations of Cleveland, he was appointed postmaster at Clarence Center. In 1893 he was appointed by ex-Governor Flower as one of the commissioners for loaning certain moneys of the United States in the county of Erie, which office he held until 1903. He was married to Marion C. Vantine, of Clarence, August 28, 1862. The union was a very happy one and there were born to them six children, three of whom died in infancy. His widow and two sons, Henry S. and John B. and one daughter, Mrs. Kate M. Schaad, all of Clarence Center, survive him. He was a true and affectionate husband, a loving and

self-sacrificing father, and it was in his home-life that his true manhood was shown best, always working to make home happy by doing little acts of kindness to those dependent on him. Not only did he endear himself by his kindly manner to his immediate family, but to all with whom he came in contact as a loving and true physician. From all sections there has been extended to his bereaved family the assurance of their appreciation of his services, both as a physician and as a citizen, and their great sympathy for them in the irreparable loss they have sustained. He was a member of Akron Lodge F. and A. M., and in 1862 was the first initiatory member accepted into the lodge after its organisation.

The funeral services were held from his late home in Clarence Center on Monday, October 3, and were very largely attended. The services were in charge of Akron Lodge. The Akron Masonic Quartette rendered appropriate music. Dr. A. P. Meeker, of Clarence, preached the sermon. The pall bearers were Drs. Henry Lapp, J. D. Macpherson, A. F. Erb, C. A. Tyler, Joseph Lehman and W. H. Baker, all members of the Gross Medical Club. And thus was laid to rest a body completely worn out by long and continuous service in the medical profession. All who had the pleasure of knowing Dr. Myers in his lifetime will join in saying, "He did what he could." Dr. Grover Wende presented the following tribute to

SAMUEL H. LYNDE, M. D. Dr. Samuel H. Lynde died at his home in the city of Buffalo, Tuesday morning, October 25, in the thirty-sixth year of his age. Early in his professional life he suffered from a severe and prolonged attack of influenza, from the effects of which he never fully recovered, but through whose gradual complications life became a burden. It did not seem so strange, therefore, that after an illness of one week he finally succumbed to pneumonia, a malady which his condition invited.

Dr. Lynde was born in Buffalo, June 13, 1869. He was the son of Burdett A. and Georgia D. Lynde and received his academic education in his native city. He studied medicine at the University of Buffalo from which he was graduated in 1889; subsequently served as interne at the Buffalo General Hospital; directly afterward went to Wanwantosa, Ill., where he engaged in hospital work for about one year ; he then returned to this city, where he practised for the remaining portion of his life. For the last five years he was physician to the International Railway Company. He married Edith L. Todd, of Rochester, N. Y., who survives him, together with a son of seven years.

Those of us who recall Dr. Lynde as a student at the university remember him for his singular earnestness and diligence. It can be safely said that no one in his class worked harder or seemed more fully to realise the importance of his life work. The responsibilities of his profession seemed to impress him more and more as he advanced in years. He was the youngest of his class, having graduated before he was twenty-one. Even after this he continued to add to his professional knowledge by submitting himself to hospital training. When he finally located, he decided to remove himself from former associations, such as were connected with his old social life, and took up his abode among those whose only claim upon him was the need of his professional services, and among those he built up a large practice in which he continued until his health failed him and he finally gave his time to office work. In this he persisted to the end, although much hampered by his continual suffering.

Dr. Lynde quietly and without ostentation lived up to the high ideals of professional life; he did not attend medical meetings regularly, however, on account of his health, but he nevertheless showed a truly professional spirit, was well posted and kept up with all the rapid unfoldings of medical science. He hated sham and honored truth wherever he found it. He treated, with the utmost consideration and courtesy, all who were worthy, without regard to external circumstances. The impress of his life is stamped to remain upon his associates, and, because of his genuine merit and his professional integrity and success under difficulties, there goes out from our hearts today a tribute to his memory, the best and truest we have power to offer; and to his devoted wife, and in behalf of his fatherless child we extend our heartfelt sympathy, quickened and intensified by our own sense of loss.

Dr. Lynde was a member of the Westminster Presbyterian Church and was a man to whom external things were a reality. His mental condition may, perhaps, be best revealed by the following poem which after his death, was found by a relative in one of his pockets:

"Let me sleep O God, in the arms of Thy faith tonight,

And let me dream in dreams of Thee!
Let me pursue my path in Thy gentle guidance,

And let my sins forgotten be!
If I lie down and not again awake-

Or if I slumbering sink to holy rest,
Take me as I am ; forgive, O God, my mortal unbelief,

And make me what is best.
In Thee have I been comforted; what e'er has been my wrong,

Whatever shall have been my mortal sin,
Most gracious Lord be not unkind to me,

But when I knock let me be welcomed in!”
Dr. Edward Clark read the following tribute to

A. T. O'HARA, M. D. Arthur T. O'Hara was born in the city of Chicago, Ill., October 1, 1861. He attended school at the Lake Forest Academy

in that city until 14 years of age, when he entered a commercial and business college and took a thorough course in bookkeeping, graduating therefrom when about 17 years of age. He at once secured employment as a bookkeeper at the stock yards in Chicago, where he remained for a period of about five years. At the end of this time he secured employment with the Panama Canal Company and spent two years in Panama, serving in the capacity of paymaster, when he contracted Panama fever ; when convalescent he was sent by ship to New York. He was ill for some weeks in New York, and while there under medical care he first conceived the idea that he would like to study medicine himself. He went to Albion, N. Y., and spent one year studying in the office of Dr. H. W. Lewis. He then came to Buffalo and continued his medical studies, graduating from the medical department of the University of Buffalo in 1889. After his graduation he went to Syracuse, N. Y., where he practised his profession for one year. He then returned to Buffalo to take the civil service examination for keeper of the Quarantine Hospital. He passed the examination and secured the appointment and held the position up to the time of his death.

Dr. O'Hara was an interesting personality, and beneath his rough and grotesque exterior was found a heart overflowing with kindness, good nature and sympathy. Most of his life work in his profession consisted in ministering to the wants and necessities of the unfortunate victims of smallpox, who were sent to the Quarantine Hospital, and how well and thoroughly that work was done is evidenced by the fact that his patients all loved him for his self-sacrificing labors in their behalf.

The position which Dr. O'Hara held of necessity prevented his mingling much in social and literary affairs, so that he did not become well known in the profession, but to those of us whose duties compelled us to see him often and to know him well, he was appreciated as a bright, conscientious, intelligent and wellread physician. In his death which occurred, from rheumatism affecting the heart, on January 1, 1905, the medical profession and this society have lost an intelligent, worthy member, one whose heart was overflowing with the milk of human kindness, and one who has left the world better for his having lived in it.

Buffalo Academy of Medicine. Section on Medicine, January 10, 1905. REPORTED BY FRANKLIN W. BARROWS, M. D., Secretary. The regular meeting of the medical section was held Tuesday evening, January 10, at the academy rooms in the Public Library building. The section was called to order at 8.55 o'clock by the chairman, Dr. ALLEN A. JONES. The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.

Dr. DELANCEY ROCHESTER read a paper entitled,



(Abstract) The rational mode of treatment falls under these heads: (1) to institute such measures as will relieve toxemia ; (2) to prevent failure of heart; (3) to so treat the local conditions in the lung as to retard the progress of congestion to consolidation and hasten the progress of consolidation to resolution ; (4) to meet complications as they arise ; (5) to prevent the spread of the disease to other individuals.

The "expectant plan” of treatment, in which patient is kept quiet, sponged regularly, fed properly, bowels kept open and complications met promptly as they arise, meets the fourth and fifth indications if sputum is destroyed and stools, urine and bedding disinfected. Its death-rate is from 20 to 40 per cent.

Treatment by large doses of digitalis early in the disease to overcome impending congestion of lung, prevent consolidation and thus jugulate the disease at the start, is said to be very successful. But the majority of these favorable reports seem to be based on doubtful diagnosis and a wrong conception of the nature of the disease.

The Brand treatment of typhoid fever when applied to pneumonia meets few, if any, of the indications to bę met. It has not resulted any better than the expectant plan, perhaps not as well.

The treatment by the pneumococcus antitoxin is the natural, rational plan suggested by the infectious nature of pneumonia. So far, it has not always been possible to get a reliable serum, and reports of results vary accordingly. Considering the doubtful efficacy of the serum, its cost is practically prohibitive.

The creasote or guaiacol treatment has been highly lauded. I have been unable to find statistics of this treatment. It seems irrational to add another poison to a patient already profoundly toxic. Creasote tends to increase the inflammation of the kidneys, which usually occurs in pneumonia.

The treatment advocated in this paper is sustained by a record of 201 cases of pneumonia, with a death-rate slightly below 8 per cent. So far as I know, these figures are not equaled by any other plan of treatment.

The first indication in treatment, relief of toxemia, is met by induced sweats and mild catharsis. At the onset of the disease calomel is given, followed by enough of a saturated solution of Epsom salts to produce one or two free evacuations daily. The

« PreviousContinue »