Page images

enemy and driving him back all along the line. While Gen. Hale was thus engaged, riding along the firing line, he came upon the South Dakotas while they were under a hot fire from the rebels, entrenched in woods and villages across the Meycauayan railroad bridge. In endeavoring to ascertain the position of the enemy he was exposed to a brisk fusilade and received a painful, though not serious wound on the knee.

Seeing that it was necessary at once to flank the enemy's trenches across the river, he sent Capt. Krayenbuhl to bring up Lieutentant-Colonel Stover's Battalion for this work. Capt. Krayenbuhl had just brought up the battalion, under heavy fire, when he was fatally wounded. Col. Stotsenberg came up with part of his Nebraska troops and reported that it would be necessary to flank the entrenchments from the railroad bridge, and was told that the South Dakotas' left had just swung around to this, and to co-operate with them in this work which he did gallantly and effectively.

Gen. Hale, his knee having been bandaged, conducted the companies on the right up the railroad, and personally directed the fire from the embankment against the trenches across the river. After capturing the railroad embankment, the river bank and the bridge, the South Dakota and Nebraska men drove the enemy from their earthworks and killed many of them as they ran across the plain. Ninetysix Filipino dead were counted in the vicinity.

The Nebraska troops were then directed to take possession of the Meycauayan railroad station, about 1000 yards north of the bridge, and extend their line 500 yards eastward into the plain. The South Dakotas were deployed across the plain on the Nebraskas' right, with their own right thrown back on the river. After locating the troops, Gen. Hale returned across the river, reconnoitered the town of Meycauayan and esteros to the west, and placed the Pennsylvanias on the Nebraskas' left, extending westward through Meycauayan. This arrangement put the brigade in a crescent, with its right flank on the river and its left flank on an estero.


THE SUPPLY TRAIN FOLLOWING UP TROOPS ON THE ADVANCE ON MALOLOS. This crescent formation prevents flanking by the enemy, and enables a skilled commander cleverly to change his formation to meet all exigencies.

During the forenoon of the 27th of March, the 2d Brigade advanced toward the Marilao River, the South Dakotas acting as advance guard, the Nebraskas and Pennsylvanias as the main body. At noon the insurrectos opened fire upon the

[ocr errors][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small]


Made by P. E. Lamar, the official map maker for this division.



1. BRIGADIER-GENERAL IRVING HALE (Colorado Regiment), appointed August 13, 1898. 2. BRIGADIERGENERAL FREDERICK FOXSTON (Kansas Regiment), appointed May 4, 1899. 3. BRIGADIER-GENERAL OWEN SUMMERS (Oregon Regiment), appointed (Brevet) May 24, 1899. 4. BRIGADIER-GENERAL JAMES F. SMITH (California Regiment), appointed April 23, 1899. 5. BRIGADIER-GENERAL HARRY C. KESSLER (Montana Regiment), appointed (Brevet) October 4, 1899. 6. BRIGADIER-GENERAL C. McC. REEVE (Minnesota Regiment), appointed August 13, 1898. 7. COLONEL JOHN H. WHOLLEY (Washington Regiment) recommended for Brevet.

advance skirmish line of the South Dakotas (Maj. Howard's Battalion) from entrenchments in the woods south of the river. This line pressed on, and LieutenantColonel Stover and Maj. Allison rushed forward their battalions to its support, Col. Frost personally superintending the advance of the entire line. The Filipinos contended foot by foot for the ground. From one line of trenches to the next,


SAN JUAN BRIDGE, TAKEN SOON AFTER THE BATTLE OF SANTA MESA. Companies of the Tennessee, Colorado and Nebraska Regiments charged over the bridge in a most gallant

manner, in the face of murderous fire. they fell back. Then they crossed the river and formed in strong trenches there. Again the victorious Americans pursued them, the South Dakotas wading waistdeep in the stream, and with wild cheers, charged up the opposite bank on the sullen foe. After one of the hardest fought battles of the campaign, the Filipinos were again routed, the South Dakota Regiment losing three officers and six men killed and twenty-three men wounded. Admiration is divided between the wild valor of the Americans and the courageous defense of the Filipinos. All through the a fternoon they kept up a desultory fire from the woods across the plain to the north and a bitter enfilading fire along the north bank of the river, wounding several of our men, who returned their attacks with spirit, the enemy evidently covering in this way his obstinate retreat.

As night came on, large bodies of insurrectos, apparently brought from the north by trains, formed and deployed along the north side of the plain, 2000 yards away, covering the entire front of MacArthur's Division. These at once began a hot fusilade all along our lines. The 3d Art., (1st Brigade) on the left of the railroad replied with Krage-Jorgensens. Gen. Hale found his line exposed on the right to a galling enfilading fire and instructed his troops to lie low behind their entrenchments until the enemy were within 600 yards before returning their fire. This order was given in view of the fact that the Springfield rifle is much inferior in range to the Mauser of the Filipinos. On this occasion it seems that the enemy pressed very closely upon the right flank of the Nebraskas, who charged before the order was given. The rest of the regiment, seeing their comrades pursuing the foe, joined in the charge and drove the insurrectos across the plain two miles to a wooded ridge. The South Dakotas were sent forward half way across the plain to support the Nebraskas, who were afterwards withdrawn to the river where the whole brigade encamped for the night.

The next day the whole of MacArthur's Division remained at Marilao recuperating, bringing up the supply trains and issuing rations and ammunition. On reconnoitering, the patrols found that the ridge captured by the Nebraskas the

day before, was still unoccupied, although some insurrectos were found near the railroad. On March 29th, the brigade advanced on the east side of the railroad track. The Nebraskas then moved on the right of the


the ridge which they had captured on the night of the 27th. They swung to the left, and flanked the enemy in front of the Pennsylvanias and Dakotas. The Nebraskas engaged the enemy at 7:30 in the morning, and pursued them across the Bocaue River towards Santa Maria. A company of Nebraskas then caused the town to be evacuated. The South Dakotas and Pennsylvanias crossed the river without serious opposition, and the whole command arrived at the Bigaa River about noon, where the enemy had partially destroyed the railroad and the bridges. A fire had been set to the bridge, and 100 feet of the railroad track torn up, but the Yankee troops came up too rapidly, and the fire was extinguished leaving the bridge practically uninjured, while the road was easily repaired.

These marches were usually commenced just after daylight. The morning hours in the tropics are the coolest and the men can then work without suffering from the heat. The hours from four to six in the afternoon are also favorable for hard work. Accordingly, at half past three o'clock the march from Bigaa was assumed and the Guiguinto River reached about five. As there was no sign of a concealed foe the Pennsylvanias began to cross the bridge. When about fifteen men had passed over and deployed, the insurrectos, from a ridge at some distance, opened a hot fusilade on the bridge and the railroad track. Col. Hawkins, who was with his advanced line when the attack was made, gallantly returned the fire and the few men who were already on the ground deploying, the others as they came up held the position until enough troops were on the line to repulse the enemy, the Pennsylvanias standing well to their guns while Gen. Hale hurried the remainder of the regiment across, while Maj. Howard's Battalion of South Dakotas quickly came up and took a position on the right. The 20th Kansas, of the 1st Brigade, and the Utah guns and rapid fire guns also crossed and came into the action. A barricade across the railroad track was demolished by the artillery. At this bridge the Filipinos were doing very good work with their Mausers with

« PreviousContinue »