« PreviousContinue »
Abaddon or Apollyon, the destroyer
Allelujah, praise ye the Lord.
Amen, verily, so be it.
Apostles, the first Missionaries of
Mite, the smallest Roman coin, according to some less than an English farthing.
Omega, the last letter in the Greek
Onyx, a blueish white gem.
Areopagus, Marshill, where was held
Beryl, a bright transparent gem, of
Bottles were anciently made of skins.
Chrysoprasus, a precious stone of a
Decapolis, a district of ten cities.
Epicureans, who placed all happi-
Gentiles, all nations except the Jews.
Jacinth, a gem of a deep orange-
Jasper, a precious stone variegated with divers colours.
Legion, a Roman legion consisted of about 5000 men.
Pentecost, a Jewish feast about 50
Piece of Silver, see Shekel.
Pound or mina, is differently valued
Publicans, Roman tax-gatherers.
Sardius or Sardine, a gem of a
the Mosaic law.
Scrip, a small bag used by shepherds. Shekel or piece of silver, value about 28. 3d. halfpenny.
Shekel of gold, value £1. 16s. 8d.
Synagogue, a place of Jewish wor-
Tetrarch, governor of a fourth part
Time, the Jews began their day at sunset, the Romans at midnight as we do. The Jewish years contained 12 months of 30 days, with an intercalary month occasionally.
New Works published by Wightman and Cramp,
24, PATERNOSTER ROW.
1. A MEMOIR of Mrs. ANN JUDSON, Wife of the Rev. ADONIRAM JUDSON, Missionary to Burmah; including an Account of the commencement and progress of the American Baptist Mission in that Empire. By JAMES D. KNOWLES, Pastor of the second Baptist Church in Boston, Massachusetts. Price 5s. with a Portrait of Mrs. JUDSON, and a Map of the Burman Empire.
2. The NEW TESTAMENT, translated from the Original Greek. By G.Campbell, D.D.; P. Doddridge, and J. Macknight, D. D., to which is prefixed a Dissertation on the Inspiration of the New Testament. By P. Doddridge, D.D., and an Original Preface, by the Rev. J. Gibb, of Banff. A new and corrected Edition. 12mo, bds. Price 6s.
3. MARCH's SABBATHS at HOME, or a Help to their right Improvement, founded on the 42nd and 43rd Psalms; intended for the use of pious Person, when prevented from attending the public worship of God. Third Edition, 8vo. boards. Price 6s.
4. The HISTORY of the CRUSADES against the ALBIGENSES, in the Thirteenth Century. Translated from the French of J. C. L. Simonde de Sismondi. With an Introductory Essay by the Translator. 8vo. Price 8s.
Although the history of the unfortunate Albigenses has been [frequently told, yet few writers have, we believe, bestowed so much industrious research upon it as the modern historian of France, and none have examined and canvassed it more thoroughly. We rejoice, therefore, that this great episode in the history of France has been presented to us in an English dress. The translator of the volume before us, who has executed his task in a very satisfactory manner, has prefixed to it a well-written introduction."-New Monthly Magazine.
5. The VISION of the HEAVENLY WORLD; to which is prefixed a Memoir of Mrs. Eliza Leslie, who died at Monghyr, Hindostan, April 8th, 1826. By Andrew Leslie. 12mo. boards. With a Portrait of Mrs. Eliza Leslie. Price 3s. Second Edition; or on fine paper, with proof impressions of the Portrait. Price 4s. 6d.
The profits, if any, to be appropriated to the Baptist Mission Fund for Widows and Orphans.
"If we may judge from our own feelings in its perusal, we should unhesitatingly say that it realizes all which its title promises. The Author is evidently possessed of a vigorous imagination, an acute judgment, and a feeling heart. We can cordially commend both the design and the execution of his Work."-New Baptist Miscellany.
6. SOUL PROSPERITY; or the Closet Companion. By John Dennant. 12mo. bds. new Edition, revised. Price 4s. "We think the volume well adapted for general usefulness. The author has compressed many important topics into a small compass; and we think his work cannot be read by any Christian without benefit, but that it is pecularly adapted to instruct and improve those who have neither time to read nor the means to procure, larger treatises."-Congregational Magazine.
2 Works published by Wightman & Cramp, 24, Paternoster Row 7. An ESSAY on the ATONEMENT. By the Rev. I. Mann, A. M. Second Edition. Just published, price 3s.
8. The DOCTRINE of ETERNAL REPROBATION DISPROVED. By JAMES HARGREAVES. Second Edition, enlarged. 12mo. boards. Price 3s.
"The principles of this volume are very scriptural, and the reasonings very sound and conclusive. Mr. H. is a good divine, and belongs to the best school. He is an advocate for free grace; but he does not clog the doctrine with the perverse conceits of a barbarous and overstrained orthodoxy."Evangelical Magazine.
9. MISCELLANEOUS TRACTS, consisting of a Brief History of the Dissenters, Memoirs of Miss Ann Price, also of Daniel Cuxon, Caleb Vernon, and Charles Whitfield; and an Introductory Address on the Constitution of the Baptist Churches, now first collected into one vol. By the Rev. JOSEPH IVIMEY. 12mo. bds. Price 3s.
10. The DESOLATION of EYAM; the EMIGRANT, a Tale of the American Woods; and other Poems. By William and Mary Howitt, Authors of the Forest Minstrel, and other Poems. Foolscap 8vo. Price 8s. Second Edition.
"We proceed with two or three specimens of the very pleasing and elegant poetry of this volume-take for our first, the spirited and delightful little Ode to Botany. The Two Voyagers, is a beautiful and pathetic story; Wordsworth could not have told it better."-Eclectic Review.
"This is a volume of Poetry such as Southey, Wordsworth, Campbell, and Moore would be proud to set their names to."-Particular Baptist.
11. PENGILLY'S SCRIPTURE GUIDE to BAPTISM, or a faithful Citation of every passage of the New Testament relating to this Ordinance, accompanied with explanatory Notes, and numerous extracts from eminent writers, to which is appended a short Examination of the Arguments commonly urged for Pædobaptism, and a brief Historical View of the Principles and Practice of the English Baptists, retraced from the Reformation to the Apostolic Age. Seventh Edition. Price 1s. 6d.
12. The PROTESTANT VINDICATOR; or a Refutation of the Calumnies contained in Cobbett's History of the Reformation; including Remarks on the principal topics of the Popish Controversy. By ROBERT OXLAD. 12mo.bds. price4s.6d.
13. GRADATIONS in READING and SPELLING, upon an entirely new and original Plan, by which Dissyllables are rendered as easy as Monosyllables. In 3 Parts. By HENRY
BUTTER. Third Edition. Price Is. bound.
"Mr. Butter has conferred no small favour upon the rising generation by the publication of this small but excellent Spelling Book."-Baptist Mag.
14. The INTELLECTUAL ARITHMETIC, upon the Inductive Method of Instruction. With Plates. By a Teacher of Youth. Price 2s. bound.
"The Intellectual Arithmetic is certainly an excellent method of teaching a most useful art."-Gentlemen's Magazine.
Printed by J.S.Hodson, Cross Street, Hatton Garden.